1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick style basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeweyTheroux, Jan 26, 2014.

1. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Anyone aware of any decent value Warwick type/shape basses on the market?

Not official Warwicks before anyone makes that joke!
  2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

3. Systolic

Systolic

beat me to it
  4. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

If you're concerned about prices, look into the Warwick Rockbass line. In around 2009, they started putting the same pickups, electronics, two-piece bridge, and the adjust-a-nut on them. Not all materials are the same (wood, brass frets, etc), but the build quality is phenominal. I have two and am looking on picking up a third.
  5. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

Rarely have seen anything closer to a Warwick type bass than a Warwick (sorry, couldn't resist :^)

Really, I've played lots of basses and there is nothing that sounded like the Thumb I had. It had the punch/warmth/tone that only wood and pre-amp combination it had could deliver. I miss it a lot.

I would save and try the real thing. BTW, I am not affiliated/endorsed with Warwick in any way.

Regards
  6. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Yeah I figured there aren't any corners that can be cut there, I think I will have to save for a while to get the ole Thumb.

I have been intrigued by the Rockbass line but a lot of people seem to pour scorn on them?
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

The newer, post-2009 RockBasses are excellent instruments in their own right, but also for the money. IMO, they are serious contenders at their respective price points.

Check out some of Andy Irvine's demo videos on YouTube; they will give you a good idea.
  8. JeweyTheroux

JeweyTheroux

Ah yes, Andy Irvine's videos are great. Guess I just have to make sure I get a post-2009 model! I like the twin bucks.
  9. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Even though I said Spector^ there is nothing that sounds or feels like a Warwick. I have 2 Warwicks and one Spector. I recommend highly the Pro series Thumb if you can't afford a German one. However you can find a used German Thumb for around the same price as the pro series.
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Brand new Rockbasses can be owned for quite low prices these days.

I own a Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 ABG and love it. I have a few other Rockbasses in my wishlist, the most recent addition being the this years' announced Rockbass Bootsy Spacebass. In also still intrigued by the Rockbass Triumph Lite.

If your budget might be slightly higher than a Rockbass, you can look into the Korean built Pro Series/Artist Series.
  11. project_c

project_c

If I were you, I would look into German made passive Warwick Corvettes made in the 90's. Better IMO than the Rockbass line, and with the definite Warwick tonality as opposed to the generic (but nice) Rockbass tone. I have a 5 string which I got a few years ago for very little money (£200), and I love it to bits. You have the option of adding a preamp in there later on if you need the extra boost, but personally I just use a preamp pedal with mine (Tri Logic II Bass Preamp) and it sounds super good. The Corvette's have no neck dive, which Thumbs were supposedly guilty of. (The Thumb I tried was beautiful, and didn't have neck dive, so it's worth trying both, but Corvette's will probably be the cheapest option).
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'll also support another option to also keep an eye out for a used German Warwick.

Do not fear reports of neck diving Thumbs.

I own a German Warwick Thumb BO 6 and I have no neck dive. I wear my basses sort of high which counters any dive. Also, I have a nice wide leather strap to evenly distribute its weight across my shoulder, with a rough swede backing which sort of grips my shirt.
  13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Yup
  14. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Full disclosure, its not the 'neck dive' (that either is or is not present depending on who you talk to) that make the thumb's ergonomics disagreeable with most - its the fact that the short upper horn casts the first position wayy out to your side no matter who you are or what strap you have.

Now, some people can deal with that and don't mind it - that is a separate issue. But the fact of the matter is that the first position is undoubtedly on the "furthest" end of the spectrum of any production bass.

They sound absolutely killer though!
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Killer indeed. Once you hear/play a Thumb, you'll be able to identify its presence in any song.
  16. awilkie84

awilkie84

Nah. Warwick Streamers are Spector styled. Spector did it first.
  17. awilkie84

awilkie84

The new Rockbass line is pretty competitive with the 90s German Warwicks. Same hardware, same nut, same electronics. Just slightly different woods & country of mfr.
  18. project_c

project_c

Would be curious to hear a comparison, I'm sure they sound great. For me the real Warwick tone comes from the wenge neck and the MEC passive pickups, coupled with either an ash or bubinga body. I love the growly and slightly nasal tone of those 90s models, and I haven't heard a Rockbass sound similar yet, although I have not tried the latest line. I'm sure others will define the Warwick tone differently (for example the $$ sounds totally different) but that's what Warwick means to me tone-wise..