1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick Thumb 5-string Bolt-On

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by webavant, Jun 9, 2007.

1. webavant

webavant

2. webavant

webavant

The guy seems a little too desperate to sell it, but his story sounds honest enough over the phone (getting out of the music biz, son doesn't play any more)

Here's a pic of the bass for sale:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the guy's spiel:

This bass is emaculent, has had about 5-6 hours play since I origionaly purchased it at Guitar Center Clackamas, it is clean, no scratches or abuse, it is showroom perfect. It comes with the Warwick Deluxe Gig bag, the Warwick tools, and The Warwick special wax for the exotic woods. This bass looks and sounds amazing. If you are not familiar with the Warwick Line, check out their website for specs. This Bass MSRP is over $2,900, it retails depending on where you buy it and how fast you can talk for around $2,100. Since this bass is as good as any you can buy at GC, I am blowing it out and taking the loss for $1,300 firm. Why pay full price from a music store or take a chance on some auction site? when you can buy my PERFECT Warwick for $1,300

Cash only, leave name and number, or I will email you back, you can pick it up by appointment.
  3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Gold Supporting Member

New, these sell at Musicians Friends for $2359

Used, if you look at eBay these guys usually sell between $900 and $1200 - higher price usually reflects a hard case. Also make sure you get the truss rod tool, and preferably a can of wax.

The Thumb is a nice bass though and a nice entry into the world of quality instruments. I've got a 2001 too; if I was selling I'd something in the $1000-$1100 range.
  4. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

The ovangkol looks amazing. The spelling, less so. The price is good, since it's new.
  5. BenderR

BenderR

It'd be a great deal at that price. Nonetheless, I'd get a signed bill of sale and a receipt and only buy it if I could pick it up in person. This sounds legit, but then again, even if it weren't legit it would still sound legit. :)
  6. webavant

webavant

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

I have a 2001 Thumb 5 BO that I won on eBay ~1 year ago for $975, including a Warwick flight case. I hope this information helps you. Good luck!!!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:
  8. LifeIsBass

LifeIsBass

I see these go on ebay for around $900. Granted, they may not be in quite as good of condition as this one. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much. I'd look for an older one with a wenge neck on ebay even if it did have a couple of dings or scratches.
  9. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

The BO necks are pretty good really, I had one, upgraded to the thru's, I liked them both and they are quick a bit cheaper.

It's a rocking bass and if you want a new one, that's a good deal.
    If you want to pick and nit pick prices, you can likely get a nice one in the 900-1200$ ranges as said.

And they are worth every penny.

I have a 5 fretless and 4 fretted and love them dearly.

Tom
  10. KarateKid25

KarateKid25

I got an 03 thumb in ABSOLUTE MINT condition for $1000 US in the TB classifieds. I mean MINT!!
  11. birdxofxprey

birdxofxprey

according the the seller's info, this thumb is 6 years old and has only been played for 5-6 hours. this, and the pix,should tell you a couple things.

first, no one lets a thumb sit unplayed for 6 years. it's likely the seller more recently got the bass used at GC - and at GC these sell used for 1100 to 1300. so, he's just trying the get his money out of it.

second, in the pix the ovankol is quite dark. i've noticed that this wood does darken over time as it doesn't have a sealed finish - it picks up oil from hands, etc. this suggests to me that this bass has been played quite a lot - although it may well be in mint condition.

it's probably worth 1300. but, if you watch the boards here at TB, you'll see a newer one for the same (or maybe less) eventually. i got my thumb BO 5 from another TBer this past january; it was less than a year old, mint condition with a new set of strings, i paid 1500.

hope this helps.
  12. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

I got a '05 Thumb BO dead mint for $925 with Rockbag.
  13. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I owned a 5 & 6 string bolt on Thumb a few years back. I sold them both because the tone just didn't do it for me on both and the neck was too narrow on the 5. they just were not for me. By the way you can get that bass for no more than a grand used. The resale on Warwicks is horrible. As for the color of the wood? The bass gets darker from waxing it. Also, some Ovangkel is darker and more striped than others they vary quite a bit. If you dont wax it the wood looks dry and pale.
  14. centrehice

centrehice

Just bought a 2006 lefty 5 bolt-on in mint condition. $1299. Can't complain about that. Thought it was a great deal for a lefty.

Ovangkol body, neck....wenge fingerboard. Soft gig bag....all the case candy/tools/wax.

I've heard that Warwicks hold their value once they reach this range...as new ones are a lot more....and buyers are always ready to pick up a quality instrument for around half-price. Buying new is like taking that big depreciation hit on a new car.
  15. hands5

hands5

Same here
  16. bassline75

bassline75

still have for sale?
  17. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Hi,
    I don't know for sure when warwick changed the necks. But that bas does not have a wenge neck and fingerboard which to most warwick buyers I think is most desirable. I have a 98 Thumb BO with a wenge neck and fingerboard and the sound is different than the new ones. Not saying it is better or worse just different. Personally I don't like the newer warwicks tonewise. I had a dolphin a few years back and it was a great bass..

Good luck in your bass search!!

Bill
  18. Matt_T

Matt_T

I paid around $1,350 for a new Warwick Thumb BO 5 w/case back in 2000. It appears prices have gone up a bit since then ... Sounds great w/tons o'punch and definition but flippin' heavy.