1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick Thumb Bass Case Problem/Solution

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Neuroman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Previously Stage 2 Gold Supporting Member

The Thumb bass has such a small body it is a frequent problem finding a case which actually holds it securely. The RockCase flight case with a bass in it weighs over 50 lbs so that is not a real feasible solution. RockCase sells an ABS hard shell which is supposed to fit a thumb tightly but it is expensive.

So, I wanted to share my $15 solution which works and looks pretty darned good.

I purchased a 2" thick sheet of high density foam and some long strand black felt from a crafts store. I cut the sheet of foam to the shape of the rear compartment housing the body of the bass. I then traced the outline of the bass on the foam with a sharpie and cut the shape out of the sheet with a box cutter/blade and some scissors. Be patient cutting this stuff. It seems to slice much easier and cleaner when you go slow, light and wiggle it. I then tucked the felt around the edges of the foam while it was in the case compartment and worked with it with my fingers to create an indentation for the bass while working out the wrinkles. A couple of folds at key places, cut off the excess and tuck in the ends.

Works great. No sliding at all since it encompasses the entire rear compartment.

Check out the pics:

Attached Files:

2. Neuroman

Foam and felt pics set 1

Attached Files:

3. Neuroman

Pics of 2" thick high density foam sheet and tucking process. Glue or adhesives are not really needed because the foam grips the felt with very little pressure and, again, the foam piece encompasses the entire rear compartment.

Attached Files:

4. Neuroman

Final pics. I hope this is helpful.

Attached Files:

5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Nice job that's awesome