1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

warwick thumb dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spego, Nov 28, 2012.

1. spego

spego Supporting Member

I've read a lot of threads about suggestions people have tried. I like the bass (4 string BO) but it just naturally wants to sit at 3pm. Has anyone JUST changed the tuners to hipshot lightweight tuners? I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes (like an $80 difference)? I did have to replace the original tuners because I had a bad one when I got it......I wasn't aware of this tuner/weight "fix" back then though.

I'm considering moving the rear strap lock up 2" (seems they would do this at the factory.....even my streamer is setup like that) but hate the idea of taking a drill to a $1200 bass.

2. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

I have changed just the tuners, the difference is minimal. Like you, I had a bad tuner so I changed all of them to hip shot ultralites. Made little difference.

3. spego

spego Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't see them being too much of a difference (not major anyway). I'm thinking about relocating the rear strap lock and trying that to see how much of a difference that makes. (as my sad face looks at the drill across the workbench)

4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I had an early thumb. I did 2 things that Helped some.

1st Lengthen the Strap, lower the body. The neck will still rest on your hand a bit, but much less so.

2nd Get a WIDE Strap. One with suede or unfinished leather on the side touching you will give some Traction, and help keep the neck up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatthewMack

MatthewMack

I have the 6 string broadneck and ended up replacing all the tuners with Gotohs. Kind of amazing such a high end bass comes with such crappy tuners... I only saw the ultralights afterwords and though that the extra expense wasn't worth the slight weight savings. However, I did move the bottom strap button and actually have both the original and the new one. For me, the original location is good for playing when I want the bass up high with the belly cut at my stomach. If I want it a little lower, like at the belt line, then the repositioned strap button works better - and it does keep it at more of a 2 o'clock angle.

[​IMG]

7. spego

spego Supporting Member

I did do both of these.......but seems when I play it too low I just end up not comfortable with what I'm playing. I have a leather strap that I was using and it did help some....if it got sweat or anything on it the thing would stink though.....so I stopped using it. lol

8. spego

spego Supporting Member

Cool....this is likely what I will end up doing too. Thanks for the pic!

9. MatthewMack

MatthewMack

NP. I got the idea and placement from looking at pics of old warwicks (they use to have recessed straplocks at that position) and spectors. I would only suggest it if the bass is a keeper though - it would certainly hurt the resale value.

10. spego

spego Supporting Member

Yes I have an older Streamer with the lock in that spot and a Zebop which has the lock there too. Just makes more sense. As of now I plan to keep it.......who knows though? lol

11. sratas

sratas

the neck dive on the Thumb, one of my favorite instruments of all times, is due to the short upper horn with a forward placement of the bass when standing with a strap and combined neck dive...
    the design makes impossible to solve the issue completely, but, I changed the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites, used a wide leather strap and kept the lenght of the strap quite short to position the instrument quite high up against the lower chest, not the lower abdomen...this way I can play with an acceptable comfort and the left wrist does not bend too much to reach the first positions. Is it now as comfortable as a jazz bass? No, but I can manage it, and the super cool tone rewards me for the little trouble...

12. peterkidd

peterkidd Supporting Member

13. gleneg61

gleneg61

You should check out the Warwick forum as this is a very well covered topic there n you might get a few ideas. I added an extra standard strap button 2" up the bottom bout, bass side, n used both strap pins at that end, without the strap lock down there but definitely on the top horn, which had a slight elongation effect n found it was better but I also play jazz nerd strap chest height so that probably makes a difference too. As always, ymmv!

14. spego

spego Supporting Member

I did put a lock up on the bass side last night. I did pull out a leather strap and cranked up the strap so it rode higher than I would normally wear it. With the button moved it allows me to angle the bass up so its not bad to play up higher.....and strap helps keep it there too. Having it up higher seems to have a big difference too. I may go ahead and buy the tuners too......tough spending that much on tuners since the ones I have are new......but if it helps I'd be happy with it. :/

15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I have always worn my basses high, so neckdive is rarely an issue for me. I own a Thumb BO 6 and I have no feeling of neckdive.