1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Warwick value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclebass, Jan 2, 2014.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I am checking out a bass listed in a local craigslist. I do not know if it is worth what they are asking, or is it a great bass for the price? I have absolutely no experience with Warwick basses. This is the listing. http://lakecharles.craigslist.org/msg/4268324408.html
    If it is a good deal, I would like to know before someone else takes it.
  2. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

A German made Warwick for $600 is an excellent deal. I'd hit it. And I don't even particularly like Warwick basses. (don't hate 'em....they just don't register)
  3. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

I have a similar model. The one you reference has replacement pickups and is in a non-standard case, so that's going to hurt the value, if you care about such things. If you like EMG's, that may be a plus for you. They're not particularly my cup of tea. I think this is an OK deal, but not a great one. I paid $400 for mine, all original and in the original Warwick bag (which I wore out).
  4. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

It's a decent price if it's in good condition. The EMGs are a plus. Make sure you try it because Corvettes are a polarizing bass. I personally think they're the epitome of "meh", but I love Thumbs.
  5. Bob Growler

Bob Growler

1996 Warwick Corvettes featured Wenge Necks and a brass nut. Big Plus! Go play it, if it speaks to you, make him an offer.
  6. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

I sold a similar one (considerably newer, with the original MECs) for $450 last year. I'd say that, in this economy, that one is overpriced.
  7. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

As someone who absolutely loves the tone of Warwicks, I can tell you why I cannot give them my business. The necks are rather unwieldy depending on what you like and how big your hands are. I have relatively small hands, so while I loved my active corvette and the tone was freakin epic, I just couldn't play it comfortably :(

If they built a Warwick with an Ibanez SR sized neck, I'd pay $1k+ for that bass in a heartbeat
  8. unclebass

unclebass

Thanks for responses. Deal would only go through if he was interested in trading for a Fender 5 string MIM. Don't think I will pursue if Warwick necks are that large. I much prefer shallow necks, Geddy Lee size necks are best for me. Large necks give me hand cramps after about 3 songs.
  9. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

I totally agree; play it and see what you think. I love Warwicks and this SHOULD be a great bass with killer tone with that Wenge neck and brass nut.
    I would check into what happened on the back there up the middle. I can't tell from the pics, but it looks to be something wrong as far as the finish?????
  10. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

If you like Geddy Lee necks, you probably will not like the Warwick. I would never describe its neck as "Geddy Lee-like".
  11. Blankandson

Blankandson

I paid $350 for a 1994 Fortress One back in 2008. Sounds really good and has excellent sustain. Wenge neck like this one but the original MEC pups. Owner was behind bars so his relatives were selling it to raise some bail money. So I paid what he probably expected. It probably would go for $500 - $800 now. Neck is large and mine weighs about 10 lbs. If you already get hand cramps with other large necks you'll just get more with this one. I got them for a few months until I got used to it.
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Just shave the neck profile down to what you like if the tone speaks to you that much; they don't use graphite rods as far as I'm aware since they went the 5-piece neck route, so you'd have a lot of room to work with ;)
  13. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Warwick didn't always have fat necks.... it was just a phase. And I'm pretty sure they didn't get fat until around 2002 through about a year or two ago, when they went back to a thinner profile.
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Oh believe me, I've considered it lol. I am not a carpenter/luthier by any means and everyone I've brought this up to has stated it was not a good idea. It may be, but I don't know any builders or luthiers in the area that would be comfortable doing this. My Ibanezes are very nice though and the tone is anything but unsatisfying. I'm picking up a MIJ 90's Ibanez SR800 tonight (w0000t!!) so we'll see if that gets me in that active Corvette ballpark or not. As a huge theoretical, if Warwick offered me a sig model, I'd be like "I want the neck half the thickness it is now and keep everything else the same!" ;)
  15. the yeti

the yeti

you owe it to yourself to try it. warwicks get a bad rap for the neck, it's a different shape for sure. although my preference tends to run similar to yours i've found warwick necks to be quite comfortable. try it with an open mind and decide for yourself.
  16. SidMau

SidMau

Concerning the necks, I bought my Warwick in may. At that point, my basses had been a cheap Dean (thin neck), Squier cm jazz (thin neck), and a status smart (thin neck). Of course they're not all the same profile, but they all are certainly not beefy or large in any way. Regardless, it took until last week for me to warm up to my Warwick and now it's become my main player (over my status). As said afore, keep an open mind.