1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Was a VT-22 EVER made as a head only?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Arnie, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Guy has one listed as a head, but I believe it is cut down as I don't think they ever made them as a head only. The head version would be a V-4?

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The V4B is the same amp without the reverb. I don't believe that there was a VT-22 head.

3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Correct. The VT-22 was a V4 in a 2x12 combo cab. If you've ever lifted one, you'll know why they were often re-housed as a head.

4. wighat

wighat

They are identical as far as the amp goes. The plate on the back of the amp chassis says "VT-22/V-4" on it regardless of whether it was put in a head or a combo at the factory. The face plate specifies which but is often worn off. So, if the face plate says VT-22, there are three possibilities: 1) it's the amp out of a VT-22 and has been put in a head box or 2) the combo cabinet was cut down to a head or 3), and least likely, the face plate has been changed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arnie

Arnie

7. Arnie

Arnie

All in all I guess $500 is a fair price for a "V-4" however will never have vintage resale value..

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I have a VT-212 cabinet that has two 12" drivers and a port, which was the matching piece.

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If you want the sound of the V4 series who cares about "vintage resale"? :D ;)

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

It isn't uncommon to find VT-22's installed in a head cabinets. Fliptops sells cabinets for for a VT-22.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    That's a good price IMHO, even if it's a rehoused VT-22. And it's not like the price of vintage V4's and V4B's has been setting the vintage world on fire.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Looks like it was either rehoused or has a replacement faceplate. Not uncommon, the combos were heavy as hell. The price is good, keep in mind if you buy it that an amp of that age may need a cap job and/or other maintenance work in the near future (and my be part of the reason for the sale in some cases).

13. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

That's a later version, not one of the more desirable earlier versions. From around 1980 or thereabouts.

14. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

Yup - head.

Attached Files:

15. lowend1

lowend1

I've seen that one on CL - I'm in NJ also, and I think it's overpriced (and poorly presented to boot). Considering the cosmetic shape, I would be wary of what's inside. If a V4B is what you really want, hold out for a good one. The V4/VT22 is very similar, but there is also a touch more grind, which may or may not be what you're after. I have one of each, and all things being equal, I prefer the V4B.

16. wighat

wighat

The schematics changed a little over the years but the only difference between a VT-22/V4 and the V4-B is a cap or two in front end that slightly limits the low end. Any more or less grind between any two amps would be due to something else like tubes.

17. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

By the late 70's, though, the schematics had changed drastically. The master distortion design ca. 1980 has nothing in common with the ca. 1971 design. Diode clipping on the front end, different PI tube, different power and output transformers.

18. wighat

wighat

I stand corrected. Good to know, as I am only intimately familiar with mine - a 1973 VT-22 converted to a V4-B.

19. wighat

wighat

BTW, do we know how to tell the earlier more desirable ones apart at a glance? Is it as simple as no distortion knob on the V4? But what about on the V4B?

20. coreyfyfe

Distortion models were released in 76. They're pretty close in design, but yes there are some differences.

21. coreyfyfe

The "more desirable" ones tend to be the pre-75 models with the metal knobs, black square graphics, and metal switches instead of white plastic.