Was Adam Sandler ever funny?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Mar 23, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

I vaguely remember loving his work on SNL and his first album, They're All Gonna Laugh At You. I also remember being reasonably amused by The Wedding Singer and The Waterboy. He's made a lot of movies since then and they've all been stinkers. The only thing worse than him trying to be funny is him trying to be heartwarming (Bedtime Stories :rolleyes:) or dramatic (Reign Over Me :rolleyes:). Who the heck keeps funding Happy Gilmore Productions?

It makes me wonder about my twenties. :meh:
  2. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

sandler,funny...um,no
  3. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

in an absolute sense...no, not at all...BUT

compared to his former SNL running mate, Will Ferrell...he's hilarious

[​IMG]
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    His "Hanukkah Song" makes me chuckle. Aside from that, his attempts at being funny are mostly pretty sad and embarrassing. His dramatic turn in "Punch Drunk Love" was pretty good I thought---but not funny.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    All I ever get from Sandler is "angry." His pal Rob Schneider is just offensive.
  7. squirefan

squirefan

I don't think he's funny, but I liked his 'opera man' skit on SNL Weekend Upkate.
  8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

yeah,even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then....opera man had some moments....overall i find snl to be more miss than hit....much prefer something like python or sctv..kids n the hall,or old second city from chicago
  9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sadly, a couple of years ago they filmed "That's My Boy" here on Cape Cod (originally to be titled - "I hate you dad"). My daughter and her friends were chosen to be in the movie as extras in a high school scene where they just showed the actors kissing, nothing more. It was PG rated as far as she saw.

She and her friends were paid for the time, had pizza and thought the filming experience was cool.
    Fast forward to the next year when the film is released. My wife and I decided to check out the film before a 13 year old did - wise move.

Absolute Crap. Nothing funny about it and it made me feel embarrassed for the stars in the film, such as James Caan. Sony Corleone would've been horrified. Jokes about masturbation, sex with a 90 year old woman, sex with a mannequin, puke, fist fights with priests, incest,..... you get the idea....

So, to answer your question, no never really funny, only gross. Yet he is laughing all the way to the bank.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

I saw it. You're right, terrible! The New Kids on the Block tattoo and presence of Vanilla Ice and a 5.0 did make me chuckle though.
  11. duff beer

duff beer

No. Never. Not once.
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I have to admit, I liked him for a while, starting with his Studboy character on Remote Control. His movies were hit-and miss for me up through The Waterboy. Everything after that that I've seen (mostly bits and pieces) has been close to unwatchable. Still curious to see Punch Drunk Love, though.
  13. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Once or twice. It surprised me. He is about 98% not funny, however the comment above that he is funnier than Will Ferrel is absolutely right.
  15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    His best stuff was on his first two albums and first two films. Everything after Happy Gilmore was a steady downhill slide. This is coming from someone who really, really liked his early work.
  16. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

? I liked happy Gilmore and big daddy and the waterboy and the wedding singer is great! His stand up was great back in the day and while I havent seen many new movies by him, Its not HIS fault. I just don't go to movies often.

Different strokes I guess..
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I quite enjoyed Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy & Little Nicky.

Granted, he's no Pauly Shore :bag:
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think The Wedding Singer is a good romantic comedy. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore also have their own unique charm. The Longest Yard, Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, and The Waterboy also have a few decent laughs in them.

Beyond that, I really can't stand his movies or his style of humor. Some of them truly are unwatchable, and it pains me to think that some people genuinely enjoy them.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Adam Sandler funny ? now thats funny !
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Longest Yard?

THE LONGEST YARD????

There was once a good movie called The Longest Yard, and it DID NOT have Adam Sandler in it!
  21. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

in a word....no