1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

was there a vox replica of the hofner violin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 19, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

an old guy i work with, tells me he used to play the bass some 30 years ago, and he had a VOX violin bass, that he seems to remember being similar to the violin bass that Paul Mccartney used to play (which was a hofner). he tells me he STILL has the bass, but hasn't had it out in 20 years (he said he would pull it out and look for a serial number on it, but he hasn't yet).

does anyone know of any such bass in existance?
  2. fcoda

fcoda

Yes there was - I don't recall what they called it - I saw a clip of the Stones doing a live version of " You Can't Always Get What You Want " the other day and Wyman was using one . The clip was from around 1967 -
  3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

There were 2 Vox Violin style basses offered. One was simply know as the Violin Bass Model V-250 and the other was the Astro IV Model V-273. The Astro IV was considered a "deluxe bass" over the standard Violin Bass.

Both instruments were made in Italy by Eko, but the Astro IV came with the onboard effects built-in, where the Violin Bass had no effects.

Even though the bodies of both basses were similar, the neck and headstocks on both were different.

The photo above is of the Violin Bass, the photo below is of a Astro IV. Notice it's missing the word VOX from the headstock.

[​IMG]

TD
  5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

So what's more preferable, the ones with the Vox headstock or the ones with the Eko scroll? :p

I never liked those things, now I know why...

(a bad Eko experience when I was younger)
  6. Thornton Davis

Even though Vox guitars and basses were made in the Eko factory in Recanti Italy, the design differences between the two brands were very different except for the acoustic guitar line where most of the models wore both brand names.

Eko's were designed in Italy, while Vox's were designed in England and the USA.

I've never been able to get into the Eko Model 995 Violin bass!
    I don't like the feel or looks of it, so i've never bought one. If i'm going to own a violin bass, (and I have for years) there is only one in my opinion to own, the Hofner 500/1.

If I had a choice between a Eko 995, Vox V-250 Violin bass or a Vox Astro IV my personal preference would be the Astro IV. I love the pencil thin necks on them and the built-in effects are pretty cool. The trick is to find a clean one without paying to much for it.

TD
  7. rusmannx

rusmannx

thanks for the info guys.
    the old man DID say that his had nothing printed on the headstock, so this is probably the one he is referring too.
    what is one of those worth if in decent shape?
  8. Thornton Davis

Vox Violin bass' are not very popular so they don't sell for as much as a Astro IV. The spread for the Violin should be $350.00 to $550.00 for a clean one. The spread for a Astro IV should be between $450.00 to $750.00 depending on its condition.

There's an Astro IV listed on ebay.com for $500.00 which seems reasonable.

TD
  9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    I had an Astro IV a few years back. The electronics were kinda trashed but I rebuilt them and it sounded/played great when I sold it. The Astro IV had active electronics, with built-in fuzz, and tuner (G)note. The plastic V O X were still attached to the headstock.
  10. Thornton Davis

Actually, the Astro IV has passive electronics (pick-ups). Only the onboard effects are controlled by the battery. That way should anything happen to the effects circuits, the pickups aren't effected and will still continue to function as normal.

All Vox guitar and bass models that came with onboard effects were designed and made this way.

TD
  11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    All I know is the bass and treble boosts would not work w/o the battery installed. Doesn't that sound like active electronics?
  12. Thornton Davis

Generally the rule is if a instrument is active, then all of the electronics on board are active including pickups, effects, etc. But like most things Vox did, they were the exception to the rule.

You're comment was that the electronics were active. My comment was that only the effects are active, not the pickups. Vox designed them this way intentionally, so that should the battery fail or be removed as it was on you, the pickups would continue to operate without any effect on them. That means the bass has passive pickups and active effects.

TD
  13. Blazer

Blazer

Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    "Back in the seventies when people were playing those Gibsons all over the place, I bought those cool VOX electrics for next to nothing, they sound like crap so they couldn't get worse, the bad part is that can't get any better either." - Matthew Ashman former Guitarist for Adam and the ants.

[​IMG]
  14. kaysadeya

kaysadeya

I just joined this forum and have owned an Astro IV since it was only a few years old.

With the correct amplification (and that was always a challenge during my poverty-stricken youth) it's a great bass.