1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Washburn Bass Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MFreePbass, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MFreePbass

MFreePbass

I have a Washburn SX-4 and am trying to find some info and pick up some opinions. Actually I picked it up in trade for some HVAC work and though I think it is very cool I am a Fender guy for sure.

Does anyone know what these sold for new? I believe it is a "91" but am not totaly sure. It really doesn't seam like junk but has anyone had one of these and really liked it. Also, it has that single coil hum like a Strat even thru the P bass pick up. Are these known for that. I also have the original hard case. This isn't a great pic but it really is in great shape.

Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Good evening MFreePbass,

It's not a bad thing that you try something different than a Fender.:smug: Personnaly I own and play an XS-5 that got active JJ pick-ups but got the same electronics and I also own a Force ABT B-15 that got the same Pick-ups and electronics than your XS-4 (same neck but different body as it's the previous model) and I could say that those bass are very very nice. You'll probably found the neck a bit thinner if you already play a P-bass but it's more similar than the Jazz bass. If you put a set of DR Silver Stars strings you'll be in Valhalla if you are a Classic Rock player. If you are more a slapper you'll be better with D'Addario EXL170BT. The suggested retail price of that bass in 1989-90 was 500$ and it was probably less for the street price, they were made in Korea with really good quality of finishing. I don't have any hum in my P pick-up with my B-15 but I have if I play the J solo on my B-15 and on my XS-5 but only if I put the treble at max.

Hope I answer your questions,

regards

3. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Don't forget to come on the Washburn Club thread, there is a lot of other Tbers there that got AXXESS series bass like yours and they probably got different experiences than mine.