Washburn Taurus 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron G, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ron G

Ron G

2. Meddle

Meddle

I own one. At the moment I am very slowly refinishing it white.

Don't expect so much love here. I get a visceral joy playing my P bass which I never get/got from the Washburn. The Washburn is a long but light bass. Infact it is almost too light for my tastes. The pickups are a bit dull... however the electronics and hardware is all good and solid. The bridge is of a higher mass than your typical bend-steel Fender jobbie.

Not much to say. It is a slightly boring bass. I was happy with it when I first got it, and I probably will be again once I get it finished off and playing again.

3. Ron G

Ron G

My P-basses don't make me feel that good.

4. Meddle

Meddle

There you go. :)

My P bass is my 'from my heart' bass, and my Washburn is 'from the head' bass. The Washburn is good for fiddly Chris Squire parts whereas the P bass is for stonehenge monolith stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

WOW, a T-24 thread with replies ;).

I bought mine with a cracked neck, and what turned out to be a seized TR.
    The seized TR being the cause for the crack.

To my amazement, the TR is double acting (in mine anyway, S/N 07030992), IME unheard of in this price range.

I did play it for a while before taking the FB off, and it is VERY small. I'm not the biggest guy there is, but it's still a tiny bass.

The PU's didn't work well with a tube amp (Fame BVH300) for some odd reason, but with SS/hybrid (SWR ST220) they were pretty good.

The PU's look like regular J PU's to me, but in some thread somewhere, someone claimed that a regular J isn't a drop in replacement. This is the only J-equipped bass I have ATM, so I can't neither confirm nor debunk that comment.

The said bass of mine is still waiting for a new FB, FF perhaps ;), but I have to do some reshaping of the upper horn, it looks so out of place to me.

AFAIK it's the cheapest NT from any reputable manufacturer though, so if NT is Your thing, you won't probably be disapointed.

I recommend You to try it before a purchase though, especially if you play Fender style basses.

Regards
    Sam

7. Ron G

Ron G

How does it play and the feel of the neck?

8. PJSim

PJSim

I have a fretless T-14 . To me the neck just feels wrong , something with the neck-radius or width. Guess Its because I play mostly Jaguar / Jazz basses . . .

9. Meddle

Meddle

Ignore comments on T14s, they are different.

The T24 neck is thin. It is not like a jazz bass as it doesn't taper as much towards the nut. I would say it is similar to a Soundgear though not quite so thin front to back. It is really easy to play either way.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I haven't played a T24, but a T25 was my main gigging bass for a while. Assuming the T24 is similar, it doesn't have a lot of neck taper, as has been said, and string spacing is very tight. Not well suited for beginning slap (I couldn't avoid hitting adjacent strings), but very quick for fingerstyle and pick playing. I eventually sold mine because there was something about the neck that didn't sit right with me over time - I thought it might have been the fretboard radius, but I'm not sure what it was really. I liked the body a lot - very light and compact, super comfortable. The pickups are growly, I have heard people call them weak but I liked them.

11. zeke917

zeke917

Ron I own a T24 - I bought it used at Music Go Round for less than $200.00. I really do dig this bass and I have owned US and MIM P and Jazz basses previously. Fit and Finish is beautiful, it is comfortable to play (albeit a bit heavy) and the Washburn ABT pickups and volume/EQ design are as good as basses I've played in the four figure range IMHO. The neck radius feels right to me and I don't ever think about it which is a good sign. I do mostly studio work these days and run my basses into the board/DAW through a SansAmp Bass DI and the T24 sounds really great. I cannot comment on the quality of sound through a tube amp as I haven't tried playing into one with the T24. What I like best is the tone palate...The separate tone controls really make it easy to find the vibe you like for the song/project, and they are dead-quiet. And of course it is a neck through design which I prefer. I wish you best of luck with it should you choose to go that way.

12. Meddle

Meddle

They are now passive btw. I think Washburn have revised the design a bit over the years. The latest ones are V/V/T/T and have the Buzz Feitin decal on the back of the headstock (though I don't know where the Feitin work comes into play... is it just a posh way of saying the nut is filed deeper than most new basses?).