Washers for Rack Gear

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Means2nEnd, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I'm sorry if this is not the right spot for this question but where the heck can I get washers for my rack gear that won't bunch up and squish out around the screws I use to rack my amps and other toys? Maybe even possibly keep my equipment from getting ground up too? They seem to all suck!:rollno:

2. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Buy your rack screws on ebay and look for ones with washers. If you cant wait go to Lowes and the specialty box in the hardware section has them.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have used both and they are the ones that do what I was describing..Is there a really good one I don't know about?

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    VERY good question!

I have hated those stupid friggin plastic/rubbery washers for 25+ years!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Try a pro audio dealer like Sweetwater or Full Compass, perhaps even GC's pro shop. The ones we used to use had a pretty firm plastic washer as part of the screw head. Never had a problem with 'em. Sorry - can 't remember the brand.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I get nylon washers at my local hardware store. They might flatten out slightly but that is only if I over tighten the screws.

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Try a computer store. They use the same type of screws for heavy rack mounted servers.

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I concur, the clear nylon cheap ones suck.
    OTOH, there's also better ones that won't budge no matter how hard You tighten the screw.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=rack...qICIDA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=605&dpr=1

I use the non-countersunk black cup washers that I salvaged from somewhere, never had a problem.

I use them only for preventing the paint/anodizing from marring on more valuable rack gear though, the ground loop prevention/isolation necessitates the rails to be isolated as well.
    Tried that once, and IME lotsa work and expense for no benefit what so ever in budget MI/PA gear.
    LAB gear = different story.

Regards
    Sam