Washington mudslide

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 24, 2014.

1. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

We've had a pretty rainy March here with some torrential rain storms, and mudslides aren't really an anomaly here, but this one was exceptional. They said on the local news that they don't really expect to find any more survivors at this point. My heart goes out to the dead, and the missing.
  3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Reports now say there is 176 still missing. Last reported person found alive was sat. :(

From MWCN Wa

The Red Cross cannot accept donations of clothes and other items, but they are in need of cash donations. ANY amount is helpful. You can donate by texting "RedCross" to "90999" or phone 1-800-REDCROSS or donate online to Northwest Response

I won $100 on the weekend, so im donating it. :) Good Karma doesnt hurt once in awhile!

:bassist:
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Local officials believe the current number of missing, 176, will decrease as some of them are likely duplicates. They have asked for help from the public to go through the list and double check all the names and info.

It's tough to watch on TV. I don't have any direct friends in that area, just friends of friends of friends. That being said, the wife and I are heading up there this weekend to see how we can help out.

-Mike
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

A friend of mine told me about it on Sunday. Then I saw news footage on Monday and realized my friend wasn't exaggerating how huge it was. It's baffling how wide the path of the slide was/is. Tragic.
  7. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

8. NWB

NWB

This is a huge tragedy for our state.:crying:

I've driven that stretch of highway many times on my way up to the mountains and know that area fairly well.

We have more rain in the forecast and I hope that the added precipitation doesn't remobilized the slide.
  9. NWB

NWB

Hi Mike.

They already have more than enough volunteers and you'd likely be turned back if you show up. There is still a serious risk to the searchers in that area if the slide is remobilized.

Jason
  10. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night on KING5 and Q13, it was reported that those who want to help should report to the fire station at 6:30AM each day to assist with search/recovery efforts. That must have changed during the course of today, or bad reporting?

-Mike
  11. NWB

NWB

I'm not completely sure. This morning on KIRO radio they reported that they had enough volunteers and to stay away from the area. The rescue personnel are concerned that having too many people searching may put them at risk if the slide moves again. They don't want more victims.

I fear that it may be more of a recovery effort at this point.

Jason
  12. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    for those who haven't seen the enormity of scale, here's an image

[​IMG]

this is about 30 min north of us
  13. NWB

NWB

In that article is a LIDAR image of the slide area that shows the ground surface with the vegetation removed.

That image is quite troubling from a geologic view. I see quite a few large slide scarps in the area.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

was there excavastion or mining there? or just a natural occurence compromised by to much water ?
  15. NWB

NWB

No mining. The river has been cutting at the toe of an unstable slope for years and recent heavy rain fired the trigger.

This slide appears to be located in a larger area of multiple historic landslides. In the LIDAR image, I can see another one just as big as this recent slide immediately west of the current slide. I suspect that one predates settlement of the area.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I came in thinking this was a euphemism for something or maybe a drink.:bag: "oh yeah a washington mudslide...if you know what I mean"

Hope no one on TB is affected directly or indirectly.
  17. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

That is scary.
  18. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
  19. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Truly a tragedy.
  20. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

Yep, I've motorcycled a lot on that stretch of road. :(
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

barely getting a blip on the news in my area. sad.