Water-Damaged Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by liechtenstein15, Feb 21, 2014.

1. liechtenstein15

liechtenstein15

Hello. I recently left my window open and (stupidly) left my bass under it. Of course it just happened to rain and now the bass doesn't play through the amp anymore :crying: . When plugged in, the amp makes a high-pitched whine before not playing. The actual bass plays fine without the amp, but when i plug it in.... I'm fairly certain that the rain water seeped into the electric system of the bass and is damaged there.I know for a fact that the amp is not damaged, as my guitar plays perfectly fine through it. If anyone could tell me how to fix this or how much it would cost to fix it I would be forever thankful. Thank you and cheers!

(By the way, I have an Ibanez Soundgear bass with a Fender Rumble 15 Bass amp)
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Is your bass active (uses a battery) or passive (no battery)?

If it has a battery...have you changed it?
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

Remove battery (if active), take it apart extracting all electronics, remove as much water as possible, let it all dry thoroughly in the sun if possible, put if back together, and see what happens.

Leftover water could be producing a connection or completing a circuit where you don't want one, and that could be producing the high-pitched noise you are hearing. Only when all water is removed can you know for sure.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

THIS^
    Only the proper procedure is to do it BEFORE you ever apply power (plug bass in). Do not plug the bass in again UNTIL You've gone through the drying procedure because the shorts the water causes can burn stuff out. Hopefully you haven't burned out any parts.
  5. liechtenstein15

liechtenstein15

Thanks for all your help. It works fine now that i changed the battery. You're all great. Thanks!