Water slide decal "Laser" Silver text. need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DavidJones, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DavidJones

DavidJones

Hi all.

I want to put a silver logo on my new build. I pretty much know how to do it.
    I´ve got laser water slide decal paper, print the text outlined mirrored and fill in either with a silver pen or paint.

Do i need to spray some kind of a clear varnish over it to protect the silver before putting it on the headstock?

If so, does it matter if the clear varnish is Satin matt, matt or gloss? Does anyone of those show or hide the trans of the paper better or worse?

best David
  2. Rowka

Rowka

If you are going to top coat the headstock after you apply the the decal, I would use the same sheen.
  3. DavidJones

DavidJones

It,s gonna be coated with many rounds of nitro related clear..
    Im just not that familiar with the clear varnish stuff.
    I have one unused can of Satin matt from Motip "Carat"
    And thought maby that the satin would make the clear film more visible and was thinking if i should grap a matt one.

But yeah is that the case, i should spray some prot. over the silver before appl. to the headst.?
  4. Rowka

Rowka

I ues aerosol nitro (thin pretty dry dry mist coats) to do exactly what you are describing.

[​IMG]
  5. DavidJones

DavidJones

That looks nice.
    Just so im perfectly getting it :) you use it to spray on the backside of the logo over the silver. "the side that sticks to the headst"

Regarding the silver..
    Do you prefer to use a silver marking pen or a silver model paint of some kind?

best
    David
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have never used the laser jet decal paper, but I print my my decals in reverse and install them face down. I use an oil based paint pen so the water wont lift it off of the decal paper, being installed face down keeps the finish from lifting it.
  7. Rowka

Rowka

Yes, spray the side that is against the headstock.

Not by preference, but because I already had it, I used silver Testors model paint.

[​IMG]
  8. SaintMez

SaintMez

I've done this recently and it came out nicely by using clear lacquer, Testors enamel and a very small artists brush. A couple light coats of lacquer keep the ink from running and is the underside of the decal if you do a reverse image and place it face down when applying. The sheen of the lacquer will only be visible on the outside border of your decal. Unless you cut your decal paper very close to the image.
  9. suraj

suraj

I recently did I decal exactly how you want it. These are the steps -

-I used laser waterslide paper and gave it a very light mist coat after the reverse printing, maybe two light coats a few minutes apart.

- Then I waited for that to dry and filled the letters with a silver paint pen. The water didn't lift off the marker when I dipped it, but I preferred to give it another mist coat over the silver. Sometimes when you dip the silver in warm water, some of the shiny silver dots in the paint can lift and stain another part of the decal.

- Then I just applied the decal face down and slid the backing paper off the top

IMO it does not matter whether you use clear or matte lacquer to mist over the decal. When you do a mist coat with clear lacquer, it leaves a grainy textured surface and the coating is too thin to matter. A matte lacquer will also leave almost exactly the same kind of surface. I used a spray can of enamel clear for the decal paper, and finished the headstock with NC lacquer with no issues. Just remember, if you do a heavy coat of clear over the decal, you will ruin it.