Waterslide for Modulus Refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greyfin10, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

OK, first of all, I don't "think" this should be controversial at all... recently acquired a bass:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/modulus-flea-4-string-roadworn-nordstrand-pu-pre-1004916/

Obviously, she's had a tough life, and I was hoping to get her a new set of clothes so-to-speak. Speaking with the fellow I think I'm going to get refinish her, and he mentioned that he wasn't sure he could even GET a waterslide decal for this bass. So, since I have never pursued such things, I thought I would ask here.

Given the state of digital/print technology, it can't be terribly hard to get someone to custom make one, right? I mean, I could even scan the current logo as a template, turn it into vector art using something like Illustrator, and... well that's where I run out of ideas :(

Thoughts?

2. rossiman

rossiman

It shouldnt be too hard, unless you want a white colored decal. I got waterslide decals from a hobby shop and made a black logo in photoshop to print

3. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Actually, white was exactly what I had planned. I'm thinking black on red sparkle paint wouldn't look quite right... it's food for thought though (i.e. I haven't made a final color decision yet anyway).

I suppose I could leave the logo off for that matter... not my preference, but not a show-stopper either.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can do a white decal, you have to do a white image of the black decal, with a black outline. Then flip the image horizontally so it is a mirror image, and print it out on your decal paper I always print at least 4 images in case I screw up. Spray the decal with the bonder and let it dry over night. Then fill in the outline with a white paint pen, make sure its not a water based pen or the water will lift it. After a few hours to let the paint pen dry, you can apply the decal with the ink side down.

I do all of my decals like this, even the black ones, because it makes it much easier to apply, and it sticks just as well. Its easier to put it decal side down on to the head stock and slide the paper off the top than it is to try and slide the decal out from under the paper.

5. Register to disable this ad