1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wave edge clicks and pops

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HoboCop, Jan 16, 2014.

1. HoboCop

HoboCop

This is a problem that's much more prevalent with bass tracks than other types of tracks it seems. My band records using Cubase 5. During our writing process usually the guitar player and I will sit and record parts to a click or drum loop. Afterwards, we sit and cut/copy/paste on a grid to flesh out the arrangement to where we want it. We don't use those tracks for anything final, but I might do more of that type of thing during tracking if I can get it to work smoothly.

Does anyone know of a way to remove those clicks between cuts when they are right on the edges of the grid? I know I can leave more of the tracks and do a crossfade, but that's more of a pain... it's really easy to cut right on the beat. Any advice or techniques that are handy for this? Thanks!
  2. nick98338

nick98338

I don't tend to have a lot of cuts per track. So, I guess I just don't mind the "pain". What I use most often is volume automation. That's what its called in the Sonar that I use. I put the cuts together into a new track, then turn on the automation write in that new track. I turn down volume just before the click, then turn back up after the click. Could be a very short duration volume change. Can't control that manually with sliders, but the automation does it nicely. And, since the automation is already on, I kinda use it to modify volumes on the rest of the track. Bring a weak attack up a bit... take a strong one down a bit. Sorta like a compressor that acts differently note to note.
  3. soopington

soopington

You want to cut at the "zero-crossing" to avoid this from the jump. You can do what the above poster was referring to and make tiny fade outs. Cross fades can be a pain but it handles the job