Wave edge clicks and pops

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HoboCop, Jan 16, 2014.

1. HoboCop

HoboCop

This is a problem that's much more prevalent with bass tracks than other types of tracks it seems. My band records using Cubase 5. During our writing process usually the guitar player and I will sit and record parts to a click or drum loop. Afterwards, we sit and cut/copy/paste on a grid to flesh out the arrangement to where we want it. We don't use those tracks for anything final, but I might do more of that type of thing during tracking if I can get it to work smoothly.

Does anyone know of a way to remove those clicks between cuts when they are right on the edges of the grid? I know I can leave more of the tracks and do a crossfade, but that's more of a pain... it's really easy to cut right on the beat. Any advice or techniques that are handy for this? Thanks!
  2. nick98338

nick98338

I don't tend to have a lot of cuts per track. So, I guess I just don't mind the "pain". What I use most often is volume automation. That's what its called in the Sonar that I use. I put the cuts together into a new track, then turn on the automation write in that new track. I turn down volume just before the click, then turn back up after the click. Could be a very short duration volume change. Can't control that manually with sliders, but the automation does it nicely. And, since the automation is already on, I kinda use it to modify volumes on the rest of the track. Bring a weak attack up a bit... take a strong one down a bit. Sorta like a compressor that acts differently note to note.
  3. soopington

soopington

You want to cut at the "zero-crossing" to avoid this from the jump. You can do what the above poster was referring to and make tiny fade outs. Cross fades can be a pain but it handles the job