1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Way Huge Pork Loin Tone Control - Subtle?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Nov 8, 2012.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I just got a Pork Loin and I love it, but I feel like the tone control doesn't really do much of anything. Is it subtle? I'm using low overdrive (around 9:00) so is it less obvious at that low of a setting?

2. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

It's a low pass filter, so if you're using an already dark-sounding bass or amp, the high frequencies it removes might not be there in the first place.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Also depends on how the curve knob is set. I keep the curve knob fully counterclockwise and vary the tone knob depending on the gig. If the curve is turned to the right the tone control will be more subtle.

4. fourstringdrums

I'm using a P-Bass w/ flats through an Ampeg B50R. That's probably it.

Regardless, love it. I'm not surprised this pedal is talked about so much. It's so natural sounding it doesn't sound like an effect to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I've got to try this pedal keep hearing about it.

7. Down_Low

Down_Low

I tried it in Glasgow when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't a big fan, just not the type of over drive I was looking for I guess.

8. kmon

kmon

after trying a bunch the pork loin is the one I came back to

got a swollen pickle right next to it. I wish the enclosures were smaller, but I think they're 2 of the best mass produced pedals out there for bass.

9. blastjv

blastjv

Always remember, trying it in a store (where you can't usually open it up and adjust the internal trimpots) will not give you the full picture on this (or any simalarly configured) pedal.

-JV

10. fourstringdrums

I bought one off of Ebay just going by mp3's people have posted here. I'll have to mess with the trim pots as well but I may just be content to leave them alone.

11. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Its an awesome pedal. I was looking for some distortion in my tone (I play very clean for a metal bassist), but I didn't want alot just enough to give me a bit of grind. I found most the distortion pedals I tried (Ibanez Tube Screamer, MXR Bad ass, Boss Metal zone, Way huge Green rhino, etc.) didn't sound good on bass. The green rhino wasn't bad(I would actually recomend it), but everything else made the bass sound like a chain saw. I found the Porkloin and immediately fell in love. It gave me the minor bit of umph I wanted, without destorying my tonal definition. Cost a bit, and I've heard people call it "boutique", but screw them. It did what I wanted. Thats what matters

12. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence Supporting Member

When I had one, I felt the same way with my p bass going through it. Mess with the trim pots, it helps!

13. fourstringdrums

I got mine for under $90 and it's practically brand new. They usually go for $100 used, the only problem is no one sells theirs lol

14. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've gone thru hundreds of dollars trying distortion pedals. IMO, the 'Loin rules for two reasons.

1. It doesn't mask the timbre of your bass. With most distortion pedals, you lose the bass's tone and inherit the pedals tone.

2. You can get that "tube amp just about to explode" sound. And it's touch sensitive. If you back off, it cleans up. If you hit it hard, it saturates.

The thing it doesn't do is extreme saturation or fuzz. You'll need to look else where for that.

Regarding the pedal itself, you need to tweak to find your sound. There's five controls on the out side (and yes, those two little knobs make a huge difference) and two or three on the inside. Turned the wrong way will make your bass sound like poo. Turned the right way will end distortion pedal GAS.

15. Down_Low

Down_Low

Good point mate. Would still like to spend some proper time with one. I was really looking for something to possibly replace my VT, that could give me a tube breaking up type overdrive.

16. jd_watt

jd_watt

Any sample settings? I'm trying to dial mine in, but still lacking that bite (highs).