1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ways to make synth bass sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Jan 17, 2013.

1. necropain

necropain

so whats do you think is way to make synth bass sounds without the obvious synth pedal or envelope filter??

personally i think flanger plus distortion or dano chicken salad plus muff.

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I like the Whammy with a wah after it. Put a fuzz in fornt to keep the note going and you can get some cool sounds.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Octaver + "Brassier" Fuzz + Envelope

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

Play high on your bass --> octave down pedal w/ no direct sound --> gated fuzz --> chorus (or your modulation of choice) --> low pass filter w/ an expression pedal controlling the filter

I would also say add some delay somewhere in the signal chain to make the transition from one note to the other smoother. There's a word for this in the synth world but I forget what is it called.

7. Phagor

Phagor

Portamento, or glissando. That's where the pitch slides from one note to the next (can be smooth or up a scale or chromatically).

I never thought of using delay to simulate it - interesting. A fretless bass would also help with the pitch sliding! Or maybe the EHX Superego which has glissando.

8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a variety of synth sound examples using various effects on my page. Click my signature below.

9. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Sub'd.

I'm really interested in the specific combos everyone uses. Like "this pedal at this setting going into this pedal at this setting".

I want to mooch off of you.

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

OC2>Oxide>Xero
    OC2>TFR>Proton

11. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

I use a Boss Slow Gear clone into a Flanger, a wah and evelope filter sometimes as well.

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

MXR BOD - Girth 90% up, Growl 70% up (~ 1 o'clock), dry about 30% up, MID+ engaged, set to 800 Hz (may try switching that to 400 Hz though) >>>

Sparkle Drive - Very light OD, mostly dry, just to add a bit of sparkle/harmonics >>>

Proton - Up sweep, Range down (more range), Gain about 9 o'clock (but highly dependent on output of your bass), Peak at 2:30 - 2:45 o'clock, Decay 10 - 11 o'clock.

I also use the Hawk into it, but have not had great success with that, the Hawk is so saturated and intense that it's note bloom seems to overwhelm the EF.

13. Shandiesel

Shandiesel

I just bought a Boss Bass Synth and just found this string. I havn't actually used it yet. I also just bout a new BTB5 so it will all come together at once.:ninja:

14. droo46

droo46

Bass Synth Wah -> Swollen Pickle

Simple, yet amazing.

Edit: Sound sample link -

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Classic combo of octave down , fuzz, filter and any flavor of modulation, (ie: chorus, flanger, phaser) is the easiest way, or using a dedicated "synth effect", like the BMS, or other. But none of it will be even close to what you can do with a keyboard synthesizer. Even a Micro-Korg will provide almost limitless options for sound, that you'll never achieve with effects pedals.

16. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Most synthy sounds do rely on an envelope or a filter of some sort. Since the OP doesn't want to use a synth sound, I think the best option is to do what a number of people have suggested already:

Bass --> Octave pedal with the dry sound off and -1 or other octaves up all the way --> Fuzz or maybe OD ---> Flanger, phasor or maybe chorus --> Amp

17. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

+1

18. avvie

avvie

No it's not the same as a keyboard. But we're not keyboardists here. Some of us want to do this organically.

19. necropain

necropain

to clarify i have a synth pedal and i like it, what i wanted to know with this post was how to get other cool synthy sounds using other sorts or effects rather than just using a synth. frankly i just find that finding creative ways to use effects to make different flavors of other effects to be interesting.

also i don't know if this is just me but I've never found myself trying to sound exactly like a keyboard.

anywho what i've found that i love is

Boss OC2 clone with octave 1 at full and dry at full octave 2 turned all the way down
    into
    JoYo Voodoo Octave(with octave up turned on) mid cut switch down, fuzz at 2 o clock and tone a 8 o clock
    into
    Danelectro Chicken Salad intensity full and speed about 11 o clock

anyone know how to make any cool ambient synth tones with a combination of pedals?

20. winterburn69

winterburn69

How close can my Tech 21 Red Ripper get to an actual synth pedal? I know it's a fuzz pedal, but the rip knob produces a very synthy tone. With the rip knob cranked, I'm not 100% sure how synthy it is, it sure sounds synthy to my ears, and I don't have a synth pedal to compare with.

Has anyone compared the two?

21. ManuelJG

ManuelJG Supporting Member

Nice one! :bassist: