WD Pickguard for Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz V

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Nov 25, 2013.

1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix Supporting Member

I bought a red pearloid pickguard from WD Music when they had their 50% off sale recently. It was for my 2013-21 fret Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz V. I installed it and the part of the pickguard where it meets the control plate is too long by about a 16th of an inch, so it sticks up just a hair. Not too noticeable, but definitely not flush.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal for replacement pickguards from WD Music? I know that there can be some variation in fit/finish with Fender and with replacement pickguards, but this seems too much for such a simple specification.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Poor fit at the control plate is rampant on Fender j basses and if you have a deluxe or some other kind of variant, best of luck.

I often think of it as the jazz gap because it is the one place I always expect to have fitment issues. If I had my druthers, I rather see the PG come long at the plate/guard joint to give me a little room to get a parallel match. The car dogs call it diming the joints, where all the joints are parallel and no wider than the width of a dime, but for a PG to control plate fit, I prefer a perfectly parallel butt joint there. Sometime to get that fit you will need to ease the control plate forward a bit after matching the joint to avoid the unsightly crooked gap or in some cases a gaping chasm through which one can actually see wires.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, WD Music(aka, pickguards.com) sucks - here's an example of their crappy, over-priced products:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

If you back off the screws on the control plate and pickguard, you may get enough play between both parts to get them to fit flush. Then alternate screwing each to snugness.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix Supporting Member

I thought about doing that, but I don't think I can move the control plate down enough to accomplish anything.

I was really excited when I was putting the pickguard on and it was a real let down when it didn't fit at the control plate.
  7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Give it a shot. Worst case, you can sand down the overlap which is better than having a gap.

A small project like that is a great reason to leave the table on Thanksgiving when your sister's lame ass husband starts to annoy the living ish outta you.