1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

We had our last gig last night...(Long read)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by funkingroovin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

The last six years has been a great run,but it had to end sometime. Bittersweet,but necessary. My drummer and I have taken jobs that require relocation for him and lots of out-of-state travelling for me. Last night was our last gig,and it was such a BLAST I had to share..

We were hired to play a 'Mods and Rockers' themed fundraiser at the snootiest 'Fine Dining Establishment'(don't dare say restaurant! :rollno:) in the area. We are NOT a band for black-tie affairs nor do we play any sock-hop stuff,but the organizers saw us play a wedding last summer and insisted we were what they wanted. So much so that they had fliers and posters already printed when they approached us to take the gig!
    Overconfident on their part? Perhaps,but to be honest it was a no-brainer..Double pay for half the normal playtime,open bar for the band,and a bellyfull of the best eats to be had..So that's $800 for 2 hours onstage and all we can eat/drink? Where do we sign!

We get there early and set up. As were finishing the Maitre D comes up,looking like he has a mouthful of something repulsive and says "You must be the 'band'..I've been informed that we're providing your meal,which you may take in the "Blah-Blah Room" (where they seat anyone who dares to show up with childeren) and you may have anything from that menu..(harrumph) Enjoy."

We all share the "here we go" look and follow Mister Stick-in-the-Arse to the peasant room,where we placed our orders for $22 burgers and $9 coffees. Just as our food arrives,so does the manager,apologizing for the terrible misunderstanding and insisting that we follow her to our 'proper reservations'. We told her there was no offense taken,we were fine and the food looks delicious. "Nonsense..bag it up for later if you must,but you shall dine in the ballroom." Okaaaay...

Now I mentioned it was a themed event,and of course we dressed accordingly..My drummer and singer looked like the cover of Weezer's Blue album,and my lead guitarist and I both looked like the Fonz. We walked in to find ourselves in a growing sea of tuxedos and evening gowns. Great. Nothing like blending in until go-time..but dinner was spectacular!

We finally get the word to start playing,and before the first note is struck we're hearing calls for "Peggy Sue!" and "Nothin' but a Hound Dog!" etc..Thankfully,there were also calls for Hendrix and the Beatles,so we opened with Wind Cries Mary followed by Lady Madonna. We ended those and for three heartbeats it was dead silent..just as we thought we were screwed,almost everyone stood and started clapping and gave us a few "Well Done"s. As we all let out a relieved breath and said our thank-you's,this tiny little old lady of about 75ish in an elegant dress ambles up to the stage and motions for a mic.(Oh no!) I hand her mine,she smiles warmly and says "Young man,THAT is what good music should sound like and you boys played them wonderfully,Thank You.. Do you by chance know House of the Rising Sun?"

At this there was more applause,and in response to our somewhat stunned expressions she handed the mic back,raised her own eyebrow and said "What? You think I was born this old?(wink).."

That pretty much set the standard for the rest of the night,one mild shock after another. We had a priest request Hashpipe and Sweater Song...a grandparently couple ask for Radiohead-specifically Karma Police...some guy that looked like Santa ask for Bullet in the Head by Rage..and my fav of the night,another elderly couple asked if we knew any "Throwin' Pun'kins Band"(LMAO!) that their grandson always listens to because 'that's some up-beat stuff'! It just went on and on..in my 20yrs gigging exp,it was a night of the most diverse and surprising requests. It was also the first time I can remember that nobody asked us to turn down or heckled if we didn't know their song,and everybody danced no matter what we played.

Although we were only scheduled to play three short sets,we ended up playing an additional two full sets at the request of the event coordinators and an anonymous $300 'tip' from someone in the crowd. Another no-brainer :smug:

All in all,it was a fantastic night..The event achieved its fundraising goal and everybody had a great time. We were pampered beyond belief and since it started so early,even with the extra sets,we were still done by midnight-ish..talk about a happy ending!! :D
  2. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

That's what it's all about! What a great gig. Thanks for sharing.
  3. Ironbar

Ironbar

Wow! Now that's a dream gig!!
  4. Perc44

Perc44

Terrific story, glad it all worked out and you played a great gig!
  5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Sounds like a dream gig
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

FAN-TASTIC!!!!
  7. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, what a great way to go out on top!
  8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. Good read. Sounds like those rich people know how to behave and party at a gig. Also, funny about the Maitre D being such a snob.
  9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

Thanks guys,it really was something else! I figure we've all had our share of gig-nightmares,but seldom see any bonuses,let alone like that..I had to brag!;)
  10. Fender05

Fender05

It's never fun or easy to give up on a band you've put 6 years of hard work into...but if you gotta go out, that's absolutely the way to do it. Thanks for the story!
  11. tgriley62

tgriley62

At least non of your bandages asked "how much for the little girl, the women I want to buy your women"
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Good read .. BTW does it come in paper back?
  13. VarlotTheHarlot

VarlotTheHarlot

That sounds like and amazing gig, what a way to go!
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

It sounds like it was a magical night. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  15. funkingroovin

LOL! That's what my drummer asks the 'girls night out' table all the time!!
  16. tgriley62

tgriley62

Cool. Glad it ended with a great show. I hope you will be able to keep playing with your new job situation
  17. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

You , my friend, missed your calling as a writer.
  18. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Awesome gig is awesome! And you are a good writer. Entertaining read.
  19. sobie18

sobie18

That sounded like a GREAT time! Awesome! Times like those can be rare.

I know a few Throwin' Pumpkins songs myself...
  20. meteor

meteor

Thanks for sharing, it was a thoroughly uplifting read.