Wedding bands: Breaking in

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bassnyc1

bassnyc1

Hi everyone,

For years now I have been wanting to join a gigging wedding band. I've been playing for 28 years, Berklee grad and I have top equipment so I'm not worried about the playing aspect of such a gig since like many of you, I've done a lot, experience wise.

The problem I have is how do I find these bands? Of course I've attended weddings before where there was a band but never got a chance to chat with anyone in the band. Is there a directory of some kind that wedding planners use that I could access? Do I speak to people managing wedding halls? I guess these questions could also be region specific. For myself, I'm in the NYC/Long Island area.

Anyway, any advice that anyone can give is always appreciated. Thanks.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A lot of the "good" bands in the NYC area are managed, so you'd probably need to contact the management company.

You can also contact any DJ or entertainment type companies. Planners and people getting married will book everything through them if possible. DJ or band, photographer, videographer, etc. They will generally have contacts and may be willing to give them out.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There is a site called Gigmasters that lists bands as well.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Check out Booking Agents in the area.
    A few of my friends have wedding bands in the Boston area and work thru some.
    I have worked a few in the past and made very good money.
    The scene is way down now due to the economy but still some work available.
    Good Luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Factor88

Factor88

This may be obvious but the best way to break in may not be just looking for a full time gig..market yourself as a sub, particularly if you can do things last minute. If you start to snowball this way you get exposed to differnet bands, they find out what you can do, and you can let everyone know you are looking for a more full time opportunity
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Wedding bands are good paying gigs if you can get them. I'm sure in the NYC market there is much more of an opportunity to work at weddings and private event gigs. In our area, 95% of the wedding gigs go to D.J.s even though many bands are very suitable to play them.

I agree with the bass player for hire approach. That is also a great way to keep up with many songs and situations and get to play with many different musicians and see if there is a personality match with certain players for future opportunities.

I have found that a great resource is to go to as many music stores as you can in your area and talk to the employees who usually know who is looking for full time and fill in players. Also, most of them have a bulletin board you can put your business card on looking for bands to play in.
  8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

If you're in the greater NYC area and you want to play weddings, check out http://www.stevenscott.com/. When I was working weddings (doing video & photos) I would see Steven Scott bands all the time. And some of those bands were charging in excess of $10 K for the event. Mind you, some of these bands were 7 or 8 pieces, and very often the keyboard player would also be playing the cocktail hour. And did I mention that the booking agency takes a very healthy cut?

:eyebrow: