1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Wedgie Rubber Picks. Any users?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 1, 2014.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Been tempted to try these but they come in strange sizes.
    Wondering what tb opinions on them are.
  2. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I bought a few last year and couldn't get used to them. I always felt like they stuck to the strings.
  3. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Supporting Member

I have one. It provides a sound about half way between my fingers and a regular pick. I only use it on one song currently - "Still Rock and Roll to Me" by Billy Joel. It is the closest I could get to the sound on the record (CD, you know what I mean).
  4. ljholland

ljholland

I got some for my wife and I noodled with them (I'm a guitar guy). They seem to stick to the string when you pluck. Neither of us thought much and tossed them into the "extra" pick jar.
  5. shawshank72

Seems to be an overall opinion of sticking to the strings.
    Thanks all.
    Guess i will pass.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, same here...stuck to the strings. Waste of money for me.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I have used them for years the 5.0mm are the best they are the least flexible great picks. I think I have some extras I sent another TB'er some and he loved them I'm ordering more if I can't find some around here I'll give you a few when I get my new order.
  8. shawshank72

Will be going home to canada soon.
    In the states for only 2 more weeks.
    But thank you for the offer.
  9. mjac28

I'll wait til you get home I'll send them up to Canada when I get them I'll drop you a PM.
  10. shawshank72

Thank you
  11. mjac28

I have some really cool custom wooden picks I'll include also.
  12. mglinski

mglinski

I love them as well. Great sound. A little hard to pick really fast with them, so I switch to a thinner (relatively) pick if I need a lot of speed. Otherwise they are my current favorites.
  13. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

My fav pick for that particular Billy Joel song is a 1" chunk off the end of an old leather belt.
  14. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

No sticking issue with me.

The really thick ones are hard to use. But the 3.1 gives me a very good sound and speed.

They don't last very long.

I like 'em, but don't love 'em.
  15. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I just got a sampler pack of wedgies today from bassstringsonline along with my order. I believe it contains one of everything they make, like 25 picks for $7. Going to give them a shot later this week. I looked at a few and can already tell I won't like the thick ones. Ordered some stiff felt picks also.
  16. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I used them a long time ago when I was into guitar. I liked the sound, but they would wear down and I'd have bits of it all over my guitar like a pencil eraser.
  17. mrbell321

mrbell321

I'm not generally a picker, but I do have a few different picks, one being a rubber wedge. I think it's a 5mm. Like everyone has said, it sticks to my strings(chromes at the moment, but also the nickle XL's I had prior). Seems good for a really dark tone, but I can't play very fast w/ it.
    You didn't ask, but I've got a several felt picks too. Definitely prefer those. Don't know the brand or official measurements, but the easiest to use is a little larger than a standard guitar pick(larger than the wedgie) and about 3mm thick... tone is a little brighter, but easier to play.
  18. pmatz2

pmatz2

I use them also. The only thing I don't like is the rubber shavings left behind as they wear down.
  19. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Agreed with above replies. Sticky response and a mess of rubber shavings left all up in your pickups' bizness.
  20. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

Theres a world of difference between the soft and hard wedgies.

The HARD version is the only way to go...doesnt grab the strings and lasts much longer.