1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

weight for it... weight for it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freddy-G., Jan 17, 2014.

1. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. Supporting Member

I got my new FBass today and it weighs less than most FBasses. I like that. For some, weight is an issue. Some boutique bass guys DEMAND a lower weight. But still there are a lot of expensive basses over 10 lbs.

Is there a weight to price issue here? If you pay more, should the bass weigh less? Even after all my experience, I'm not sure. I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

2. sobie18

sobie18

Luck of the draw...I mean SAW...don't care.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

An instrument weighs what it weighs once the craftsmanship, manufacturing process is finished.

It's just physical elements plus improvements = finished product.

Most bases seem to average about 9Lbs.

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddy-G.

Man, I'm just talking about when someone says, "guess what happened today? and they're being silly and say, "wait for it.........."

It's a joke, dude. I didn't mean to bring out the heavy metal dudes! :D:D:D:D

If I did, then I think that's funny! :cool: :bassist: :D

wait for it
    weight for it
    got it?

7. line6man

line6man

I don't understand why people care so much about weight. Does everyone have a bad back?

If you want to pay more for lighter cuts of wood, you can do that, but it shouldn't be expected of any luthier or manufacturer to choose the lightest cuts standard with certain lines. That's too much wood to waste, when wood weight is so variable. You get what you get.

8. Major Softie

Major Softie

Mine was a a joke too. It was a reference to this guy:

[​IMG]

His slogan "Silence. I kill you!" has become so well known that now when he says "Silence," the whole crowd starts laughing, often followed by him drawing out "wait for it......"

9. Freddy-G.

I just upgraded my home security system. Just lettin you know.

10. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass

Just so we're all on the same page ;)

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

If you care about it, and you have that discussion with the luthier, then it should be a concern for him too. They have stocks of wood and dealers who help source acceptable wood. When I had my most recent bass built, I wanted a mid weight and that's what I got...the luthier was smart enough to build the blank to balance the weight.

I also built a telecaster. For that project I wanted to emulate a 50's super light swamp ash tele...so again, I talked to the guy building and carving the body (Tommy @ USACG) and he came up with an awesome one under 4 pounds. It sounds perfect and is lighter than many thin lines.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I don't mind playing a 10lb bass but would take a 7lb one that sounded the same 100% of the time.

I am in good shape with no back issues but anyone that can do a 4 hour gig with a 12-13lb bass has my respect. Over 10lbs hurts my back and neck generally near the end of the 2nd set. I like 8-9.5lb basses generally.

Personally, I have played amazing sounding heavy basses and great light ones. I don't see a correlation between weight and tone when compacting apples to apples.

13. Freddy-G.

Thanks. I agree with all of that.

14. pfox14

pfox14

I used to play sousaphone in my high school marching band. All they had was a solid brass one (no fiber glass) and it weighed a ton. I marched in the Thanksgiving Day parade for 2 miles once. Anything after that experience, everything else is a piece of cake.

15. Freddy-G.

I'll weigh in on this discussion. :rolleyes: :) The heaviest bass I owned was a MusicMan 2005 Limited Edition StingRay. Even though it was a limited edition model, it weighed 11.5 pounds. I played it at a few gigs. The weight didn't bother me.

The lightest bass that I've owned was an Elrick 5 string. 8.5 pounds.

Does weight affect tone? In my experience, no. But I do think that certain woods make a difference. But mainly, the pickups and preamp determine the sound. IMHO.

16. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

For me, weight and price are connected. I don't expect for a Squier to weigh 7 pounds (although lately some of them do), but if I am paying top dollar for a boutique or custom shop bass, I expect quality select light weight wood to be part of the deal. I am not saying that a heavy bass can not be a quality one, but it's a deal breaker for me. US Sadowskys are consistently 8.5 pounds or less, and I'm impressed that Roger makes a conscious effort to offer that to his high end customer base (no pun intended).

17. gebass6

gebass6

It's not so much about your back.The strap rests on your Carotid arteries and/or Jugular veins.Too heavy a bass CAN pinch off your neck arteries/veins and restrict blood flow to the head.

18. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

It's no big deal until that fateful day when you play a sub 8 lb bass and realize it sounds as good or better than the 10+ lb one you've been playing and not thinking about the weight. It's only a few pounds but it makes all the difference to me. I'm an average size guy, and in good shape with no back issues, but there's a world of difference to me.

19. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Exactly - there are multitudes of boutique builders so you can pretty much get what you want based on choices in woods, and body mass. I don't think there's nessessarily anything relational between cost, and weight.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm in the minority here, I know. But when I ordered each of my 4 Roscoes, I specified that I didn't care about weight, and to go ahead and use heavier pieces of ash and mahogany for the bodies on each (3 ash bodied basses and 1 mahogany bodied bass). Each of my basses comes in right around the 10 pound range, IIRC. But I could have easily told them the opposite, and I know they would have worked with me to build me lighter basses as well.

I owned a Valenti at one point that weighed in at just under 8 lbs, and I always felt like I was playing a toy. On the flip side of that, I owned a Warwick Thumb BO6 that weighed around 12 lbs, and loved playing that bass, for entire 4 hour gigs. Like I said, I'm a little different than most.;)

I have no point to all of this, other than to say that I think that if you are paying big money for a custom bass, your luthier should work with you to build you a lighter bass if that's what you are after.

21. Molan

Molan

I work part time in a bass shop and weight definitely has an effect both on price and 'saleability' of an instrument.

It's hard to put a direct value on weight but heavier basses are much, much harder to sell and this pushes values down.

There's a lot of people out there who take a bass off a wall and if it's obviously heavy (above 10lbs) they will pull a face and immediately put it back without even thinking of playing it :(