Weight of an EV TL606 1x15 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Nov 3, 2012.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Howdy all,

I recently acquired an electro voice TL606 15" cabinet, with the stock speaker replaced with an eminence delta. Now, I think that this cabinet is a bit of a brick, so I am trying to find out the exact weight so I can compare this one to some other potentially lighter cabs..

The best I could come up with was a stat from this 'TL606 Builders plans', which claims the "net wight" of the cab is 54 lb (24 kg). Now what I am wanting to know is, does net weight include the weight of the original EVM speaker or not? I always thought that net weight was just minus the cardboard box..

http://mypicsonline.net/archive/arc...es/EV/Builders Plans/TL606 Builders Plans.pdf
  2. anderbass

anderbass

I doubt anyone will know the exact weight with an eminence delta, but you could hold your cab while standing on a bathroom scale, then re-weigh yourself w/o the cab and do some math...
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Yeah, I am guessing around 60LBS.

Just FYI I built a similarly sized fEARful 15/6 out of Italian Poplar and managed to get the weight down to 43LBS... which was only 3LBS heavier than a fibreglass cab of the exact same design.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

My TL-606 with a 3015 weighs 42 pounds.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

My mesa diesel 1x15 with evm 15l is roughly 60-70 pounds. get on a scale and figure it out
  7. Joedog

Joedog

Any cab built out of 3/4 ply is going to be a bit hefty. I have 2 of the EVM15B's and they come in a bit over 20 lbs alone. I'm about to build 2 606 cabs out of 1/2" (with bracing) and HOPE they will come in around 45lbs, but that may be optimistic?
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a few old TL606’s loaded with EV15L’s in storage, and my quess is they weigh about 50-60lbs each.
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Use 1/2 inch lighter wood (Okoume, IP) and brace it well and you should definitely get it under 50.

Edit: Wait, if your drivers weigh 20LBS each, 50LBS for the completed cab is not too likely.
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Mine are 3/4" birch.
    Just use a 3015
    It takes more power, sounds better and weighs next to nothing for a 15
  11. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1 Sounds just as good or better, handles more power and saves about 13lb.
  12. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Well, I jumped on the scale.. 30kg!! (66lb) I knew it was an effing brick!

Before that, it had been really bugging me.. I thought I had lost strength all these years.. but I picked up an ampeg PF115HE yesterday and that was an absolute featherweight in comparison (20.4kg).

Out of interest, it looks exactly like this one (same grille material, corners, carpet) but one mine it has a larger EV logo in the middle of the grille, and the middle port is closed over.

Did EV release these cabs as plans only or did they sell prebuilt ones too?
    [​IMG]
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

FWIW, the PF cabs are pretty light weight, & the driver ain't "heavy duty". I got a couple of 3015's & they're LIGHT, & will handle heaps of power. The stock PF115HE driver had a much thinner metal surround/basket & even compared to the EV drivers originally in TL cabs, are much lighter, in all regards.
  14. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying such a Thiele from a company in germany (because I have 2 original EV 15 Bs which I will recone to Ls), I tried two different used cabinets.

I don't think it's possible to find the correct and exact answer to your question.
    As those Thiele cabinets are kind of "DIY"-Stuff, each builder will use different wood with different weight.
    Some use many screws for making it, some less (if you see the original plans, there have to be a lot of screws in it).
    Some use 19mm wood, some use 20 mm wood.
    So - the only answer i can give you:
    for it is a small cabinet, it is very heavy - and about 40 to 46 pounds.

And the weight of the speakers - you may find on the websites of the producers.

Greetz
  15. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Definitely agree in regards to sound at least, the TL606 blew the PF115HE out of the water. I wish I could strip some weight off of it, even with a neo speaker, it won't lose enough weight.