1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Weight of fender jazz neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMan99, Nov 27, 2013.

1. BassMan99

BassMan99

I am building a jazz bass. As light as I can. Going to use a guitar fetish lightweight jazz body
    My question is. Which would be lighter a made in USA jazz neck -which has the graphite rods. Or a mim maple fingerboard neck. And by how much. Assume no tuners at this time.
    I have a choice of used on local craigslist
    Thx
  2. Precision101

Precision101

I would probably say a MIM neck because the wood is a little bit more denser in Mexican made basses. That's why I use MIMS. They are super light "to me anyway" I bought a MIM standard neck and it was 200. I've played a MIA Before and the necks are slightly barely heavier by a hair it's not really that noticeable but a lighter neck would be a Mexican made
  3. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Geddy Lee neck!!
  4. Precision101

Precision101

BASSically. :D those things are light as all hell
  5. elBandito

elBandito

MIM has thinner headstock than MIA also. My MIM neck is lighter than MIA.
  6. BassMan99

BassMan99

Yeah I was thinking the mim neck would be lighter maybe not much of a difference
    Thanks
  7. eno50

eno50 Supporting Member

Be careful with the g-fetish bodies,you can strip a screw hole very easy ,the wood is soft ,one thing you can do to help balance the bass out is to use a high mass or heavy bridge,but again be careful on the bridge screws they will strip out.
    I know a builder who made some guitars out of those Light wood bodies ,and had those issues of neck dive,so you have to add some weight to the other end,now you might try a
    graphite neck,more money but less weight.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

One way to tighten up soft wood is to mount the bridge without string tension, then pull the screws. Set the bridge aside and squirt a jolt of thin CA in each hole, then wipe the screws down with a little wax/oil and run them down until they bottom out easy, don't force it any further. If you get any ooze, quickly wipe with a paper towel and it should come off clean. The trick is to wipe it without stopping. If you stop the paper will stick and leave fuzz to clean up. Give the CA plenty of time to fully cure, then pull your screws and mount the bridge. Some might think it overkill, but you can do the same for your PG and control plate. I'd do it as a matter of course to all the screws if the wood is soft.

We mount engine cowls and other assorted components directly to wood in r/c airplanes this way and it makes a HUGE difference in how well the screws hold.
  9. BassMan99

BassMan99

Interesting. Would love a graphite neck. I looked at Moses and they look interesting. Kind of pricey
  10. BassMan99

BassMan99

I bought the mim jazz. It weighs 9lbs 4 oz. not light but not bad. It does not feel neck heavy. It has the maple fretboard. And it plays well. Action low with no buzz
    Almost hate to year it apart
    I will update. Curious how light I can make this
    Right now I am trying to sort out hipshot ultralites. Pretty sure I need the 1/2 inch ones. There are "sets " on amazon for 75 bucks but it does not say 4 tuners. Not assuming a set is 4. Anyone know ?
    HB6C Item model number 20675c