1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Weight savings of lighter tuners, in pictures!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheFantod, May 16, 2011.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

I recently picked up a second set of Hipshot Ultralites. I liked them so much on my RW, I wanted to get some for my 62 AVRI.

Thought it would be interesting to compare the weights of the Fender Reverse Tuners vs. Hipshot's Ultralites, so I took them to work and weighed them on a postal scale. Here's the tale of the tape:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fenders = 15.6 oz (442 grams)
    ULs = 7.7 oz (218 grams)

So the Ultralites weigh almost exactly half of the Fenders, with a weight savings of 7.9 oz, approx. 1/2 a pound.

So is half a pound enough to cure neck dive? In my case, yes. But as always, YMMV.

2. Rookwood

Rookwood

Nice! A picture's worth a thousand words...:)

3. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Hard to believe 4 tuners can weigh a pound!

4. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I'm a little rusty on my physics, but wouldn't the effective weight be about 1/2lb multiplied by the distance to the 12th fret (or wherever the strap bolt is)? My point is, 1/2lb of difference could add up to a huge difference on a bass, given the long neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

LOL. Overall the difference would be 1/2 pound. For someone with back problems like me, it doesn't matter where the weight "sits", it's 1/2 lb less I'm carrying around.

7. Handyman

Handyman

Good lord, was Fender making those tuners out of depleted uranium or something?

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

I think my Hipshot HB2 set with the D-Tuner weighs twice that.

[​IMG]

They work great, though.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

That's why Fenders are Da Bomb.

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It would be measured off the center of gravity (where ever that falls on that bass) But yes, the amount the neck dives would be less and the bass over all would feel like it lost more then the 1/2 pound.

11. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

I just posted this in the other thread "Question: How much weight will I shave off by switching to Hipshot Ultarlights?'"

I'm looking into Hipshot Ultralights and just got off the phone with them, so I figured I would share the information they gave me.

HB2 vs HB6C ultralight 1/2"

HB2
    .205 lbs = 3.28 ounces
    total weight for a 4 string = 4*3.28 = 13.2 ounces
    total weight for a 5 string = 5*3.28 = 16.4 ounces

HB6C (1/2")
    .105 lbs = 1.68 ounces
    total weight for a 4 string = 4*1.68=6.72 ounces
    total weight for a 5 string = 5*1.68=8.4 ounces

Generally looking about 1/2 lb less weight with ultralights

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Big cut in neck weight.

13. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

... and here's a glamour shot :cool:

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Yeah, I put a spare I have on a shipping scale (not the most accurate, though). It weighed 3oz. With the D-Tuner the set is probably about 1lb. The bass I have them on weighs 9lbs 14oz with those and a BadAssII. Not bad, I think. With a standard bridge and some Ultralighes I could shave off about a pound. :)

15. Peepaleep

Peepaleep

What is the hole size for a MIA Fender headstock? 3/8 or 1/2?

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

And to think that the gotoh GB35 weights 40 grams each. Now that's light.

17. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

do these fit in a jaguar bass?

18. mongo2

mongo2

I've found that Gotoh Res-O-Lite 350 tuners are lighter than the Hipshot Ultralights. 4 of the Gotohs weigh about as much as 3 of the Hipshots.

19. edpal

edpal Banned

I know, old thread. BUt I just swapped OUT some Ultra-lights for some Hipshot HB1s. Yes, the Ultra's weigh 36.6 gram with ferule and screw, the HB1s weigh 50.2 grams. So my 5 string Ibby ATK805E bass gained 70 grams. Well worth it to me for the 25% higher/finer tuning ratio, still doesn't neck dive. An easy way to get rid of neck dive if not too extreme - put something an inch long where the upper strap button is and use a longer screw. Voila, balance point moved 1 inch.

20. abemo

abemo

This. Seriously, this. Neck dive is a leverage issue, weight is merely one factor, moving the pivot is far more effective. Also, given the leverage vs weight bit, the bass will lose 1/2 pound, but the difference in leverage will be greater, given neck length, so it will feel like more to your left arm.

21. edpal

edpal Banned

Yeah, the leverage issue. Someone (IMO wrongly) stated the fulcrum was the 12th fret - that is roughly the midpoint of the instrument length but not the fulcrum(pivot point). Your neck/shoulder is the pivot point. Take all the tuners of a thunderbird and it still has neck dive. I feel I can tell how a bass is going to balance largely by looking at it - if the upper strap button is attached even or above the 12th fret - no dive. Below 12th fret, nothing but dive without extreme measures.