weird amp static

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

This happened a while back, but now has become a problem again. Low static starts coming through my amp with some radio stations randomly. Its annoying but not that loud. Multiple cords did this, and I have a standard p base and rumble 15. Also everything is grounded, my brothers amp doesn't do this.

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Can you unplug your bass and still hear the static/radio station ?

If not, it's your bass

3. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

It is a defect in the amp then.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

No it didn't happen until recently

7. B-string

?And that matters how? That is one reason equipment has warranties and why there are still amp techs employed. Ever have a light bulb that worked perfect till the next time you turn it on and it wouldn't light ;) :D

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

To rephrase Jon's reply: your amp is now defective!!

9. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

That didn't help, warranty expired

10. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

Thanks, your sarcasm really helps

11. Bim1959

Bim1959

Disclosures:
    Sales & electronic tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA
    Do you get the radio stations when the amp is on but nothing plugged into it? If so, then the amp is the problem. And it doesn't matter if it only happened recently. **** HAPPENS!!!!!

Your only other choice would be if it acts up when you're using a cord. Then you have a bad cord. But if that cord doesn't act up on your brother's amp then it's still your amp that has a problem. Nothing works perfectly forever.

12. B-string

Check to be sure, most Fender electronics are 5 years transferable.

It is honesty not sarcasm. Sorry the answers are not the ones you were hoping for.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1

14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Since it's intermittent, it could be a couple things. I suspect a breaking/broken solder joint, likely in or near the input jack, or even a cracked circuit board...still making connection most of the time, but opening and perhaps conducting through corrosion, bringing on the station. If it were on my bench, I'd open it, inspect the board while re-flowing solder joints around the input jack.

The ground connection at the input jack seems to be the culprit. The input should completely ground the input when nothing is plugged in. It apparently is not doing that.

With these plastic jacks, there could be something as simple as a bit of dirt between contacts, preventing the shorting out.

Input jacks are notorious for failing. They take a lot of use and even abuse. Jacks are 90% of the problems in failing amps, be they input, effects loops or speaker jacks. Small amps often fall over or are knocked over with a cord plugged into it, which can really stress the jack and solder pads.

When working on amps, I often reflow solder joints as I am looking for a break or broken pad. Even when I don't find the specific cold solder joint, the problem is gone when I try the amp again, indicating that one of the reflowed pads was the problem. I just fixed a Fender practice amp. It acted like a broken pad on a filter cap. The caps and joints looked fine. After reflowing, no more problem.