Weird and entertaining, live music acts...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Feb 7, 2014.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

So admittedly, I love the absurd! I always have. Sometimes I see a musical act and it is just strange, but I am completely entertained. It may fall out of the normal bounds of mainstream music or involve some crazy innovation or performance art aspect... and I dig it, based on the appreciation that I have never seen anything quite like it...

This town has plenty of proficient players that can bust out some old jazz standards on a whim, but seeing a guy on rollerskates in a thong, singing into a tin can that is attached to another mic'd can by a string... well, that's not how I spent last Friday!

Curious if you guys can name any outlandish performances that pushed the envelope.

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

A couple of weeks ago in my local music shop, I was trying a bass out, and the place was fairly packed. Anyway, I started playing a hard driving bass line, and then I hear drums. Someone trying out the drums joined in. A little bit longer into out spontaneous jam a guitarist joins in. This carries on for a few more minutes before I have to stop, as I realised I was late for something; can't remember now.

So basically, music shop jam where I never met the other musicians.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I was in an industrial band, and we played with a lot of bands with interesting stage shows...like one gig in NYC with the Genitorturers.

The show involved a combination of punk/industrial/metal with healthy amounts of real S&M/bondage done on stage with fetishists from the local underground and some of the group's own people.

The show we did included a crucifixion and an enema with the bottle of cranberry juice from our dressing room. The lead singer was also a licensed piercer, and one girl that was part of our entourage had double labia piercing done on stage while spread eagle, foot first to the crowd.

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Wat? Hahaha, sigged! :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Fishbone, Crash worship, extra action marching band, gwar, any john zorn project(pain killer, masada), green jello, bottom 12--all un-ordinary bands. Most aren't together any longer. I guess put Primus & Rush & Tool in there too.

7. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

Skinny Puppy put on a heck of a show back in the day. No idea what they're like now.

8. DagoMaino

ha ha Let's see you pull that off in a music store.... ha ha

9. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

Oh, and I hear the early/mid career Butthole Surfers shows were... well, maybe what you'd expect.

10. DagoMaino

Captured by Robots - The guy built his band out of homemade robots and performs as if he is their slave... that's one for the scrapbook.

11. DagoMaino

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Captivating theatrics, surprisingly good/unique music with all kinds of interesting home-built instruments...

12. Timmah

Timmah

Winny Puh (sp?)- some wacky Estonian metal band that JimmyM likes.

13. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

The Tubes were amazing in their prime. I remember the band playing an instrumental to open their set. There was a couple of food carts with covered trays behind them. During the second song someone lifted the cover of one to the food trays and there was their singer Fee Waybill up to his neck in lettuce. After he munched on the lettuce surrounding him he started singing the first song. It got weirder from there.

14. DigMe

DigMe

This is the first thing I thought of. SGM was the last band I saw in concert that fits the OP description. Great concert.

Some other bands I used to watch back in the day that put on these kinds of entertaining unusual concerts were regional acts out of Houston and Austin such as Retarted Elf (yes, that's how they spelled it), Billygoat and some other local acts whose names escape me.

Someone mentioned Primus but when I saw Primus and Sausage in concert they never did anything particularly outlandish or unusual that I can recall.

bc

15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Is Weird Al weird enough for you? If you get a chance, catch a live Weird Al Yankovic concert. The band themselves has been together pretty much since inception. Top notch musicianship. Al is an actual singer, not a pop/autotune celebrity. Check his multi-layered vocal harmonies on Frank's 2000" TV.

In addition to the musicianship, I enjoyed all the comedic parodies he prepared over the years. He also has a number of originals which are quite nice. Split second costume changes between songs. lol Walked among the audience and dedicating "One More Minute" to a crowd member (who seemingly had no idea what the song was going to be about.)

16. DannyBob

DannyBob

Hey, why not!?

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Yes. They put on a visually punishing show. I have a friend that actually sustained some very real emotional damage from going to a show early on. He had actually suppressed memories of the night until decades after the show, and only after being triggered by seeing video from that tour.

18. DagoMaino

I love it... you just can't help but wonder how that conversation goes, "guys, I got this idea for our next show....".

19. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Blue Man Group, if you happen to visit or live in one of the cities where they perform. The main "Blue" characters are primarily percussionists with interesting created instruments, but there is a very competent band backing them up. I recall Tim Alexander played with them for awhile after his initial split from Primus.

20. JFOC

JFOC

Les Savy Fav supposedly put on a great liveshow

...& of course there was GG Allin...

21. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Tool always had a great presentation with their concerts.