Weird bass setup

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jtlownds, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jtlownds

jtlownds

Friday, I went to a bluegrass jam session. I was playing guitar, for a change. This guy shows up with a double bass. It's got one of those 4 legged aluminum bridges on it. I assume it was either a Framus or a Selmer bridge. The bass was an old Kay M1, with steel strings (I don't know what kind). When I asked him about the bridge, he told me that he had drilled 2 holes in the top plate, and BOLTED the damn thing to the top. The bass has been set up like that for the last 31 years. I've been playing double bass for over 57 years, and that bass was the loudest instrument I have ever heard in my life. There were 16 other guitar, mandolin, and banjo players there, all playing thru their own amplifiers, and that bass cut right thru the mix. I am assuming that the unbelievable volume was due to this jerry-rigged setup. The bridge only applies downforce to the top when it moves, but being bolted on. this bridge could be appling downforce and upforce. Have any of you guys ever seen a rig like this before, or have any idea what made this bass so LOUD.
  2. lnichols

lnichols

If it had four legs, it may be a Slowey Bridge. I believe they were made in Oklahoma City. I think the Framus aluminum bridges had three legs. I heard an inexpensive Chinese bass with a Slowey bridge, and it was also very loud.

Leni