weird buzz on 7th fret G string on MIA Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlo3874, Jan 7, 2014.

1. carlo3874

carlo3874

Hello,

I have a small annoying problem with my Fender P bass. Whenever I play the 7th frets on the E & G strings together on my P bass there's a ringing buzz. I like uber low action and there's no buzzing at all on my bass. It bugs me because I like to play tenths up & down the neck. Is this a dead note?

I'm tempted to swap out the Fender neck for a Warmoth neck. I took it to a repair shop. They made a truss rod adjustment and the buzz was gone but the action was too high for my liking. I had a warmoth neck on a strat and never had to adjust the neck after it was installed.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Lank Thompson

Lank Thompson Supporting Member

I had the same issue.
    I believe they refer to that sound as a "wolf tone".
    I had the same issue on a number of basses including Fenders, Rick's and a Mike Lull.
    What cured it for me was top-loading the strings.
    I currently own a Precision Select which is my all time favorite bass.
    I don't string it through the body anymore, but rather top load the strings.
    It sounds amazing and absolutely no dead spots, sympathetic vibrates whatsoever.
    If you are top-loading the strings already I'd suggest lowering the pickup height.
  3. elBandito

elBandito

7th fret g string sounds like a deadspot issue. Try not to think about it too much.
  4. carlo3874

carlo3874

Thanks for the tip Lank!

Top loading the strings got rid of the buzz.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know wolftones as the overtones you get with a <37" B string being fretted up the neck.

Sounds like a dead spot to me, if the issue only happens when playing chords, sounds more like a technique issue. Does the issue persist when only playing one of the problem notes of the double stop?