Weird Buzz on New SX Ursa 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aethyrvorous, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Aethyrvorous

Aethyrvorous

So I just got a SX Ursa 6 string, and the 5th string makes this annoying buzz that I cannot figure out how to fix. It is not hitting the frets at all.It appears to be around the nut and there is literally nothing that Ive found that stops the buzz. Even on the first fret I an hear the buzz, and it can be heard when amped. Besides sending it back, what can I do to fix this?

2. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

is there a neck adjustment available? I would take it 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter clockwise to see if it affects it.

3. jaypee

jaypee

I've had similar things happen in the past.

Try lightly touching the string on the headstock side of the nut. If the buzzing goes away, I would take a look at the "break angle" of the string from the nut to the tuning post. If that angle is not sufficient then you may need to loosen it and rewind the string so the last wrap that leads to the nut is as far down on the post as possible. You might keep pressure on the wraps pushing them down as you tighten to pitch. More often than not this has cured it for me in the past especially on a bass with a non-angled headstock.

The other thing is to check the nut slot on that string. If it is bigger than the string diameter by a lot than the string might be able to vibrate in the nut slot as well.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

4. Aethyrvorous

Aethyrvorous

Concerning the break angle, I have pushed the head side string down almost as hard as I can and it still buzzes. I have also placed a piece of paper between he nut and string and it still buzzes. Im not sure about the neck adjustment but I will look in to it right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

looks like the truss rod adjustment is from the head end, in which case I would take it the opposite direction. (1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise)

7. Aethyrvorous

Aethyrvorous

Ive turned it clockwise a few times and seems to be getting a little more quiet, but still very present. It is getting pretty hard to turn though.

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

If you turned the TR "a few times" and it's getting hard to turn, stop immediately. Go to the Hardware/Setup/Repair forum and read the sticky on setups. The only reason a TR should turn a few times is if it is totally slacked to begin with, which might have been the case.

Edit: It may also have a noisy tuner. Common on lower-end basses.