1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Weird harmonics when plucking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Aug 16, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Just adjusted the truss rod on my jazz bass and something odd happened. When I pluck a string my fiver usually keeps going and lands on the string above it as a rest. Now when I do this I am getting weird harmonic overtones from tapping the string. Almost sounds like I have some kind of octave pedal or ring modulator going. Any ideas what this could be? Didn't have the problem before adjusted the truss rod. Jazz bass strug with d'addario chromes. Thanks!
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Pickups too high?
  3. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Gassin' for a Warwick Dolphin V Supporting Member

Check your action I'd say that it's too low and the string is tapping the top of the fret causing this the dead string to ring what you're hearing is the string impacting top of the fret as though you were doing a tap or a thumb slap that sort of ghost note sort of sound. Well adjusting your trust ride you may have imparted a bit of a backbone to the neck and I could cause the frets the impact even open string