Weird overtones with Fender nickels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Salamenster, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Hey, folks

I have this weird overtone thing going on with my open E on my '09 Am Std Jazz.

Guy I know told me to string it through-body next time, did that didn't work.

It's with all the pick-up configs. Guy also told it could be the chrome covers on my bass. But it still makes the overtones with them off.

Unplugged it seems to be there, too. Albeit more subtle.

So... String or bass issue?
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

New Strings?

First thing I always try with wierd noises is pluck the string, touch it close to the tuner and then behind the witness point on the bridge. If you try this, does it change anything?
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Pickups could be too close to the strings . . . .
  4. Salamenster

Salamenster

I have difficulty understanding what you mean. I'm sorry. :( I read American scientific medical journals, but it's my second language nonetheless. What's a witness point?

About the string life, it does seem to decrease somewhat with age. Still enough to bother me, though...

Both pick-ups have the same issue and I had already tried lowering one. No succes...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

Try lowering the other pickup also.

If it is caused by a pickup being too close, it has nothing to do with which pickup is selected.
    It has to do with a pickup magnet pole being to close to the string and affecting how it vibrates.
    Either pickup can be too close, and both pickups will sense the bad tone.

-
  7. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

After you play the string, put a finger on the short part of the string behind the saddle barrel at the bridge, same with the string between the tuner and the nut. If the noise changes or goes away, its a vibration in that area.

Sometimes if the action is low it will make a strange harmonic. I do believe it is not electrical since it does it without power on at the amp.

Attached Files: