Weird Practice Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LJVSK, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LJVSK

LJVSK

2. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

3. LJVSK

LJVSK

Thanks, Audrey but I'm looking to take it on vacation and not worry about theft or damage and be able to play while sitting out on the lanai or unplugged anywhere I choose for that matter. At $160, I'm close to buying it regardless for just the purposes I've described but I'd feel better if I knew a little more about this Chinese import.

The seller told me that there isn't even a manufacturer's sticker on this thing and that he knows of no review either written or video. I'm going to have to agree... my Google-Foo revealed nothing. :help:

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I haven't tried it personally but I do know someone who had one and absolutely hated the quality of this. It's not the same as the Yamaha one which was actually pretty decent. The Chinese one is poorly constructed and a pain in the...... Reason enough for him to to try to sell it to me. Of course he told me about his dissatisfaction and issues with it only AFTER I refused to buy it. lol.
    A better option is the Hofner Shorty bass, it's shorter, better quality and there's a used one on GC for $79. Just needs the input jack replaced.

Edit: Sorry, looks like the used one just got sold. New one is $199 though.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hofner-Shorty-Electric-Bass-108404286-i2708900.gc

7. LJVSK

LJVSK

8. CJAZ

CJAZ

I have a Yamaha siilent guitar that is very similar to what you are looking at. I travel with it and it works well for practicing. Although it can be plugged in and amped, I do not use it beyond practice on the road.

On the Yamaha the upper bout is removable which makes it very stowable in an airline overhead. I am not sure if the model you are looking at comes apart. I know Yamaha makes a silent upright bass, you might want to see if they do a silent bass guitar as well. Being able to remove the bout takes away any fear of it being damaged.

9. SteveV74

SteveV74

Check out the ministar basses! There are a bunch on ebay

10. SteveV74

SteveV74

Just search ministar bass on ebay, pretty nice for the price.

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

When you can get an SX for way less (or a MIA Peavey Fury for the same) money, why would you buy one of these?

At least with an SX or a Fury, you can adjust the intonation, and you could play it out. And, as I already mentioned, it would be the same or less money.

12. dkelley

dkelley

Compact and light are considerations too

13. SteveV74

SteveV74

Could always get a steinberger and a Korg Pandora

14. LJVSK

LJVSK

...and cheap... that's big on my list for this practice/travel bass.

Yeah, that was the actual point to this thread. I already have an Ibanez SR300DX that I'm not too worried about banging around but I really don't want to vacation with it and I'm sure as hell not taking my TBird with me.

I'm just looking for something to leave laying around while I'm on vacation and have it be something that I won't worry about but it would allow me to get my "fix" while I'm away from home.

15. dkelley

dkelley

I bought a used aria sinsonido bass a year ago... highly recommended. Very portable. 34" standard fender length. Weighs less than half of my musicman basses. Super cool on stage also. Pricey though.... for what it is.

16. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
  17. LJVSK

LJVSK

So I went ahead and ordered one. I'll post up my initial thoughts after I've spent my first couple of hours with it. Should be here by next Tuesday.

18. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Right. And with an SX being significantly cheaper than this, it seems like you'd worry less about taking it on vacation and leaving it laying around. I know I would.

19. LJVSK

LJVSK

What's an SX?

20. LJVSK

LJVSK

Nevermind, I looked it up. If I wanted to travel with a full size, full weight bass, I could use my 13 y/o, SR300DX.

21. StevieMac

StevieMac