Weird question: Can I install a 5 string bridge in a 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xantometapon, Jan 7, 2014.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

Hi everyone:

The thing is that I have got a 4 string bass with a very narrow neck.
    The G string sometimes pulls of the fretboard and I think it is not a problem of neck alignment.
    I think that the problem is that the bridge is stock (around 19mm string spacing)

I wanted to try with a bridge with string spacing features, but the cheapest is 75 euros. I do not really know if that would solve the problem so I am reluctant to spend that money in a 130 euro bass.

Can I buy a 5 string bridge and install it on the bass?
    It would come standard with the tight spacing and would cost around 30€.

Aesthetics do not bother me at all, if that matters.

Thanks for the input
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Check my post in your other thread.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Amazing... I have absolutely no idea what you're wanting to do. Are you wanting to turn a 4-string bass into a 5-string bass by changing the bridge? Or are you trying to get wider string spacing by somehow using a 5-string bridge on a 4-string bass?
    :meh::confused::meh:
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

He wants to use a five string bridge as a four string bridge, for the tighter spacing, and just ignore the fifth saddle.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Which is totally doable. And will probably look wonky as hell(besides the vestigial saddle, the outer strings will sit further in on the fretboard towards the bridge side than the nut side). Also how I took the question.
  7. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Supporting Member

No, he would be mounting it off-center in relation to the neck, but centered in relation to the 4 strings. IOW, the fifth saddle would sit 'below' the neck and be unused. In this way, the OP could cheaply, and effectively, get a tighter string spacing. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to most of us.

Rob
    :bassist:
  8. bassbenj

bassbenj

True. But would probably work if the spacing were decent. Best would be one of those adjustable bridges (They were extruded alumium and the parts for the saddles and strings slide along track and weren't expensive, but I don't think they are sold anymore) But a Fiver with tight spacing would work just besure to remove the unused saddle, springs and parts so they don't rattle. Would look funky though.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If it's a Fender style bridge, I'd just go to threaded saddles and use the threads to position the strings as desired.
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I realize that. I think you misunderstood me slightly with the "further in" thing. I was meaning instead of the E and G strings running roughly parallel to the edges of the fretboard, they would appear to be "further in" at the body side of the neck. As you said, not for everyone, but it would work for what the OP wants.
  11. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Supporting Member

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, my bad there. And re-reading my post, I apologize for the completely unintentional snip and snark. *sigh* Stupid lifeless text lacking subtlety and nuance. :bag:

Rob
    :bassist: