1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Weird tones anyone likes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

I was wondering about tonal preference on here. What I've gathered is "P with flats" seems to be the standard. I was wondering if anyone out there had any weird tonal preferences, like a lot of fuzz or grind or something. I myself love downtuned jazz basses. Thoughts?
  2. dubhnight

dubhnight

Well, one tone a lot of people seem to enjoy is Geezer Butlers tone that's all over Paranoid by Black Sabbath. It sounds fantastic, like really powerful and it fits in the mix in a really cool way, but he got it by playing through a 4x12 cab with 3 of the speakers blown... Not something most TBers would recommend as a good bass rig.. Just goes to show really.
  3. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude Supporting Member

Al Cisneros from Sleep, Om and Shrinebuilder. Plays a Ric through custom Green amps and cabs by the Electric Amp Company with lots of delicious tasty fuzz.
  4. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Jazz with flats.
    Fuzz.
    My P clone with the SR2000s (that is a weird awesome tone).
    Colin Edwards.

--Silvie
  5. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I don't think it's very "weird" but it's certainly not something you hear everyday- Tapewounds on a 5-string Jazz-type. D'Addario Tapes on a Squier Standard Precision V, to be exact. Sounds really nice :D

[​IMG]
  6. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

yup. I can't stand just sitting in the mix w/flats and not being heard. I like to be as bright and punchy as possible with fresh rounds. I feel like playing with fresh rounds on a bass with a pick brings out the true tone of a bass. Also, I love pretty much any unique/unusual bass tone under those specs.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

You'll love this, then! :)

8. bootsox

bootsox

I love that sea of mud you get out of some early Gibson basses, and I really don't dislike the sound of pickups out of phase
  9. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

That is one of the best tones! :bassist:
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Cool choice.

There used to be an interview of Bobby Vega on the BassPlayer TV site and for his imitation of Larry Graham he played a Jazz strung with tapewound strings.

I currently have them on two basses, a four-string short scale semi hollow bass and my fretless 6-string ABG.
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

I'm guessing that a Jazz with rounds is more common here than a Precision with flats.
  12. awilkie84

awilkie84

Flats with the Low-Mid EQ boosted & the High-Mid & High rolled off slightly, Bass at 12 O'clock. Favour plucking towards the bridge.
  13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I personally prefer Precisions strung with rounds, Nickel Swing 66s to be exact. Not really weird, but for me the flats on Ps just doesn't. I mean, I think they sound great, but it wouldn't work for the music I play.

I also like the sound of an old mudbucker Gibson through a cranked valve rig, think Felix Pappalardi or Jack Bruce.
  14. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

+1