1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Weird tones anyone likes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

I was wondering about tonal preference on here. What I've gathered is "P with flats" seems to be the standard. I was wondering if anyone out there had any weird tonal preferences, like a lot of fuzz or grind or something. I myself love downtuned jazz basses. Thoughts?

2. dubhnight

dubhnight

Well, one tone a lot of people seem to enjoy is Geezer Butlers tone that's all over Paranoid by Black Sabbath. It sounds fantastic, like really powerful and it fits in the mix in a really cool way, but he got it by playing through a 4x12 cab with 3 of the speakers blown... Not something most TBers would recommend as a good bass rig.. Just goes to show really.

3. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude

Al Cisneros from Sleep, Om and Shrinebuilder. Plays a Ric through custom Green amps and cabs by the Electric Amp Company with lots of delicious tasty fuzz.

4. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Jazz with flats.
    Fuzz.
    My P clone with the SR2000s (that is a weird awesome tone).
    Colin Edwards.

--Silvie

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I don't think it's very "weird" but it's certainly not something you hear everyday- Tapewounds on a 5-string Jazz-type. D'Addario Tapes on a Squier Standard Precision V, to be exact. Sounds really nice :D

[​IMG]

7. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

yup. I can't stand just sitting in the mix w/flats and not being heard. I like to be as bright and punchy as possible with fresh rounds. I feel like playing with fresh rounds on a bass with a pick brings out the true tone of a bass. Also, I love pretty much any unique/unusual bass tone under those specs.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    You'll love this, then! :)

9. bootsox

bootsox

I love that sea of mud you get out of some early Gibson basses, and I really don't dislike the sound of pickups out of phase

10. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

That is one of the best tones! :bassist:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Cool choice.

There used to be an interview of Bobby Vega on the BassPlayer TV site and for his imitation of Larry Graham he played a Jazz strung with tapewound strings.

I currently have them on two basses, a four-string short scale semi hollow bass and my fretless 6-string ABG.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

I'm guessing that a Jazz with rounds is more common here than a Precision with flats.

13. awilkie84

awilkie84

Flats with the Low-Mid EQ boosted & the High-Mid & High rolled off slightly, Bass at 12 O'clock. Favour plucking towards the bridge.

14. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

I personally prefer Precisions strung with rounds, Nickel Swing 66s to be exact. Not really weird, but for me the flats on Ps just doesn't. I mean, I think they sound great, but it wouldn't work for the music I play.

I also like the sound of an old mudbucker Gibson through a cranked valve rig, think Felix Pappalardi or Jack Bruce.

15. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

+1