1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheRigere, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TheRigere

TheRigere

Just wondering if anyone has insight or a clear answer, or any for that matter on this one that happenned... I've discussed this with three different guitar techs, a luthier and the most knowlegeable bass man I've met from Bass Central and the Musicians Institute any all of them were totally blanked and even thought I was just busting balls, so maybe you all can figure it out..

So here's the scene... I'm playing a gig in Daytona with my rig. Play an hour and a half set then the Greg Billings band is going on next and the bass player is going to use my rig.. he plugs in his band and nothing comes out of the cabinets. We know its working cause he;s coming out of the monitors anf front of house... Nonetheless, we try a new cable. Nothing. Tries my wireless, which I was using, nothing. His bass is passive, so its not a battery. He claims he had not modified his bass in anyway.. I checked every connection in my rig and still only FOH signal.. you could see the signal hitting the compressor and everything but NO speakers output. So he ends up grabbing his GK combo and it works fine... so i'm pissed obviously that something is wrong with my cabs or output and have to play another set right after them...I go up after the set and plug my bass in exactly as before and it works perfectly... so i thought maybe its just something perfectly wierd on my setup that allows it TO work...then I buy a new American Fender Jaz...(booyah) and its works fine.. my only thought is its something with his bass, but how could something from the bass only affect the speaker output and nothing else?

Any thoughts...

I don't know if the gear list will help but here it is:My rig- Line 6 HD400 racked GK 410 MBE and GK115 MBE both connectted via Speakon Cables... Ibanez SR505 bass His bass was a passive Peavey i think
  2. El-Bob

El-Bob

3. TheRigere

TheRigere

Thats pretty much where we are all at on this so far... lol
  4. JoZac21

JoZac21

[​IMG]
  5. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Possibilities...

1. your rig is moody and doesn't like anyone else touching it
    2. aliens
    3. aliens that look like the dude in the previous photo
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

possible he unplugged and then plugged in with the amp on. perhaps the pop that happens caused the amp to go into protect maybe? did you cycle the power before you plugged back into it? what kind of cable was he using? heard of people having wierd issues when using monster and then regular cables because of the jack size. other than that, it's aliens.
  7. grendle

I would expect this from my rig. lol :bassist:
  8. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    +1 Aliens
    There is a reason why I call it electrickery.
    mute button mishap?
  9. TheRigere

TheRigere

Never turned the amp off...only had it muted which is normal for me but when I was trouble shooting on stage with him I did cycle the powered after checking all connections. He nor I., were using Monster cables..
  10. TheRigere

TheRigere

See above... mute was on when plugging in but off when aliens landed the mothership
  11. JoZac21

JoZac21

12. MiJaKo

MiJaKo Supporting Member

There wasn't a noise gate somewhere in the chain post-DI, was there? Thinking maybe your bass's signal was hot enough to pass and his was not.
  13. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

No way was it Aliens, they simply don't have the time or the inclination to mess with the other bass player. That bass player has spirits that are f****** with him. Likely a dead relative that he made angry.
  14. JoZac21

JoZac21

Really? Spirits!? That's just silly!!!

Aliens, man... ALIENS.
  15. invalidprotocol

Maybe the alien was the axe itself disguised as a fish...

[​IMG]
  16. grendle

I agree. and it was in daytona.
  17. JoZac21

JoZac21

Every time I see this photo, I think that's Stephen King... :bag:
  18. JoZac21

JoZac21

I'm sorry, but as soon as Occum's Razor is applied, aliens becomes the only logical conclusion... good try, though.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Ha! What's really funny is that in many places striped bass (which is what that fish is) are called rock fish. :bassist:

If your mute button works both speaker output and DI output there is no good explanation I can come up with. I don't think the "pop" of plugging in would cause the amp section to go into protect mode. Those things are usually thermal and not so trigger happy IIRC.

Seems we're back to aliens. Yep, it was them. Hey at least you didn't get probed.
  20. invalidprotocol

Or possibly a politician?

[​IMG]