Welcome Home Honey,Sunn 200s and 215cab at last

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Shmoothwound, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Shmoothwound

Shmoothwound

Hello felLOW enthusiasts professionals and allaround deep sound appreciators,

here it is
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/113361253@N05/with/11745885435/

I'm looking for advice and a good shop in the SF bay area to have a look at it before she goes to studio. It looks like she's been in a time warp. When I arrived to test drive her, she was plugged into a variac. I don't need to get one of these things do I? For that matter, as a tube amp owner, what should I have in my tool box and what should I learn. I've been so damn hot about getting this thing I didn't really prepare myself for the techy side of it.

Thanks Amigos

Shmooth
  2. nysbob

nysbob

D140s! Sweet.

Don't make it work too hard...it should deliver the goods. :cool:
  3. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

mullard branded kt88's! get them on ebay you'll get more than the amp for them
  4. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Geez! I've got that same amp and cab, still works Great, too. I bought it new, back in 1968 or 69...

Congrats!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

Ugh, sweet score on those KT88's. I would suggest keeping a multimeter, and bias probe on hand. As well as a few extra 12AX7 tubes laying around. If you think the tone is a bit "saggy" you can always swap the rectifier tube for a solid state rectifier. I have my RCA rectifier pulled off and replaced for a bit more tightness on the low end.

As far as tech's in the bay area, I haven't had any good experiences with anyone. I tried King Amplification with my Sunn and they were a waste of time and money. Since then I've just done all the work on all my amps myself. Cheaper, and I know I'm getting the correct specs, most places just settle for what they have in stock even if it's off spec. Good luck.
  7. Shmoothwound

Shmoothwound

Thanks everyone!
    What's your opinion about Hal at guitronics? I dropped it off there to get the once over and also because when I got her home there was no sound.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A little advice I picked up from JimmyM, keep your old tubes. Odds are they are all good or mostly all good. If tech tells you they are all stuffed he's keeping the good ones for himself.
  9. Shmoothwound

Shmoothwound

I'm hip to that, I told them I want all the original parts. They're going to give me an estimate before they do anything first. Now my head is dizzy comparing KT88 backups. I would also like to support any local businesses if anybody knows of one in the SF Bay Area
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If the guy had it on a variac, he may've been attempting to "reform" old filter capacitors. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Cap job isn't too expensive and a good idea for an amp that old if it hasn't had one in the last 10-20 years.

Great score, man.

+1 to keeping all the old parts.