Well a 6 1/2 lb jazz bass neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 23, 2014.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Just curious. I have my eye on one and wonder if the offset body would counter any dive? It seems almost too light!
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My 5.2 lb Basslab 5er has no dive....depends on many factors
  3. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

It really depends on how the weight is distributed on the bass. A bass could be light (total weight), but have most of that in the neck. You'll just have to try it out and see.
  4. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Depends.
    If it has standard tuners I am sure it will. I have a very light Road Worn J (8.3 lbs)that does a bit.

My Road Worn P is even lighter and that one dives pretty bad. Enough that it is distracting. If it has light wieght replacement tuners it might balance better.

WOW...6.5 lbs....that is nice! I would consider (and am) replacement tuners if it dives too much.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrTaff

MrTaff

Almost every light J I've played has suffered from neck dive, it get annoying quickly if you're playing sitting down.
  7. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I have a 7.5 lb. 5-string Jazz that doesn't dive. I attribute this to installing Ultralight tuners and moving the bottom strap button a couple of inches.
  8. MrTaff

MrTaff

Does it balance properly sitting down without a strap like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzqRPfF80sc
  9. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

IME, without a doubt, especially whilst sitting. I used to have a 7.5 lb Sadowsky and it was an amazing bass, but neck dive central. I've found P-bass shapes in the 9 to 9.5 range to have the best balance.

Michael