1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Well a 6 1/2 lb jazz bass neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 23, 2014.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Just curious. I have my eye on one and wonder if the offset body would counter any dive? It seems almost too light!
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My 5.2 lb Basslab 5er has no dive....depends on many factors
  3. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

It really depends on how the weight is distributed on the bass. A bass could be light (total weight), but have most of that in the neck. You'll just have to try it out and see.
  4. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Depends.
    If it has standard tuners I am sure it will. I have a very light Road Worn J (8.3 lbs)that does a bit.

My Road Worn P is even lighter and that one dives pretty bad. Enough that it is distracting. If it has light wieght replacement tuners it might balance better.

WOW...6.5 lbs....that is nice! I would consider (and am) replacement tuners if it dives too much.
  5. MrTaff

MrTaff

Almost every light J I've played has suffered from neck dive, it get annoying quickly if you're playing sitting down.
  6. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I have a 7.5 lb. 5-string Jazz that doesn't dive. I attribute this to installing Ultralight tuners and moving the bottom strap button a couple of inches.
  7. MrTaff

MrTaff

Does it balance properly sitting down without a strap like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzqRPfF80sc
  8. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

IME, without a doubt, especially whilst sitting. I used to have a 7.5 lb Sadowsky and it was an amazing bass, but neck dive central. I've found P-bass shapes in the 9 to 9.5 range to have the best balance.

Michael