Well, I did it, joining EUB club

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Selta, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Hey everyone,
    So, I finally decided to just do it and jump in to get things going. Last week the NS Design basses were 15% off on Amazon, so I got an NXT 4 double bass, and I start upright lessons tomorrow. Don't have a bow yet, but I'll be "fixing" that issue this coming week.
    Long term, I'm hoping to move from EUB to "real" upright in time - once I have money for a good upright and more importantly, space to keep and practice with one. But, for now, EUB will let me get started with the foundation.
    I've been playing bass guitar for about 12 years now, but I can't remember a time when I've been so excited to play an instrument. I'm also looking forward to how this changes my approach on BG. 2014 is going to be a very interesting year for me, musically!
  2. tcl

tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Welcome! Enjoy it! It's great that you're getting lessons and a bow. The bow really helps with intonation, and it gives the bass a more singing-like voice. For most of us, I think, it's kind of a long slog but if you enjoy it you won't mind. For me, it's definitely been worth it.
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Yeah. I was self taught on BG... I spent the last 2-3 years focusing on and fixing some of my bad habits. Instead of having to do that again, I just figured I'd get a teacher right off the bat and start off properly hah. Really looking forward to it. I keep plucking around on the EUB and man is it fun.
  4. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

congrats, I own a NS also. since you already play an instrument you will take to it naturally and with practice and a few reps you'll be amazed by how fast you become really good. lessons from a pro is the best way to learn and bowing early is a good thing. this will open new avenues to different gig possibilities. and the chics love it!! get some fingerless gloves and a porkpie hat to go with it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    So far, so good! Got a lot to learn, especially since I'm also learning how to read music and the notes on the neck... all these years of bass guitar playing and I never bothered to learn that. My left hand intonation is TERRIBLE, as I expected... and bowing is working muscles in a way I didn't know could happen haha. But, I'm having an enormous amount of fun, and my teacher is pretty swell.
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Congrats on the acquisition but also on the intelligent yet fun way you are approaching it! The knowledge and practice will pay off.
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Wow, a reply from Bob Gollihur! :) I have your site bookmarked and visit it quite frequently, and have my eye on a few things to buy once I progress :).
    Sometimes it's a little overwhelming, since I have so much to learn. But, I'm taking it in small chunks and just doing my best with it. I might turn this thread into a mini blog with my progress. I have some goals in 2014 for EUB, which may end up in here too :)
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Hope people don't mind me turning this into a bit of an anthology of my adventure this year.
    Had my lesson again last night. My teacher was pretty impressed with how my reading ability is coming along. She was also impressed with how I was picking up left hand technique. Her biggest compliment was that I was the most improved student she's worked with in many years. So that was a cool ego boost.
    We did some scale exercises, as well as some string hopping exercises. We'll do these around in every key eventually as I get better. Last night we mostly worked in G, which was fun. One exercise I had fun with was a string hopping one... hard to explain and I don't have the music here to upload or anything. Got my right and left hands working though!
    We ended the lesson with a quick review of simple bow technique. The bow feels pretty natural in my hand at this point, so I think I'm going to be trying some of the exercises I've learned in both pizz and arco style.
    I'm already feeling a change in my bass guitar playing, as well. I used to just put my first finger on root and work up from there, but now I am actually thinking and working in positions. I've also forced myself into somewhat uncomfortable territory - I've removed the tab part of my band's music and play it only by reading staff now. My speed of picking up new music has plummetted, but, once I get better at reading the notes I'll be better off.
    Overall, I'm still stoked I decided to give this a real shot. It's only been a few short weeks but it's already paying off and having me excited to play again! I'm really wanting to get a "real" upright now, but I must hold off and reward myself later for it when I have space and money for a decent one!
  10. Slammin

Slammin

I bought an NS CR4M from a member here a few months ago (I think October'ish).

Though I really enjoy playing the NS, last week a purchased a beautiful Krutz series 400 3/4 DB and am just having a ball!

Trust me, I understand the GAS factor the NS leads to, but I've always wanted a DB anyway :)

And like you, after playing BG for 45 years, I am finally learning to read as well!

Good luck, and enjoy!
  11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    I originally was 90% sold on a DB from a local, well known shop. The price was good, I just can't justify the room in my house for one. I can't keep it safely. Next year may be intersting... if I keep up with this, I'm going to MAKE room somewhere for one.
  12. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Tonight's lesson was pretty awesome. My reading is still improving at an OK pace. I'm pretty good when I'm between the G and A, but once I go above or below I slow way, way down. So, I know what I can focus on with that.
    I'm also strongly considering picking up a "real" upright. Nothing at all against the EUB, but it's a bit of a pain during lessons when I'm unable to hear myself very well as there's no amp readily available there. And no way I can reasonably take my BG amp, set it up etc.
    So we did some more serious bowing - mostly just playing the scales and arpeggios with bow in lieu of pizz. Man, that's difficult. I'm noticing some difference on the NS versus a true upright - the arch of the strings isn't quite as prevalent on the EUB as it is a DB. I can pretty easily pull off a triple stop on the EUB where as it's noticeably much more difficult on the DB. This has made some of the bowing exercises a tad frustrating, as I often hit two strings at the same time. I know a good part of that is also technique and totally on me - but I execute a lot better on my teacher's DB than I do on my EUB.
    After all of that, we started on Vivialdi's Sonata No. 5 in Em. Yes, it's normally a cello piece, but dang does it sound sweet on DB too! I'm of course very slow and very terrible at it. But that's why we practice :)
    No lesson next week for the holiday, so I'll be working on the scales, arpeggios and this piece as much as I can. It's going to be nice when I can play this more at speed.
  13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Well, today I started renting a DB from the local shop. Oh man, the TONE! Ahhh :) I'm going to have to put cheater markers on so I know where the notes should be, ish. Can't wait for my lessons with this!