1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Well, I didn't have anything else to spend$130 on, so...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

...I bought a near mint condition Ampeg B2RE head at my favorite pawn shop. I know these don't get a lot of love ( for not sounding "Ampeg-like, etc), but honestly, it sounds great through a 1x15 cab, and has plenty of power for the gigs I play (I'm not playing in metal bands or anything)...country, rock, Americana stuff. Nice fat low end, plenty of definition, nice and quiet.

Since I got the B2RE, I went ahead and sold my SWR Redhead combo...got $400 for it..... I like it when I come out ahead in deals !

:)
  2. bobalu

bobalu

Pics....Pics....we need pics!
  3. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

SWEET! Can't wait for a GAS day like that...:)
    f!
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats!
    I have been using a B2R for a couple of years now and I like it very much. Sure, it doesn't sound like an SVT but it sounds good has plenty of power and punch and has been a totally dependable workhorse.

I'm sure you will get years of good service from your B2RE.
  5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I had one for a while with a Hartke 1508 cab. Went to a Genz Benz rig not sorry best unit I've ever owned.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For $130, I'd buy a B2RE ;)
  7. beardohutson

beardohutson

I use the B2RE for everything.. i love it.. I switch off between my 2x15, 1x15, 4x10 cabs. great for rock shows and sunday morning service.
  8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Ha ! :)

Yeah, I couldn't pass it up. It's a decent head, and it's awfully hard to lose money on one that you get for this cheap !
  9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

It's just a nice, solid, basic head.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

GB stuff is great .... I might eventually get one. I tend to swap rigs a lot...each time kinda making money by selling to old one and getting the next one at a steal of a price....in the past couple years I've used Aguilar, SWR, Markbass, and now back to Ampeg. I sound like "me" no matter what rig, so dependability is really what matters to me.
  11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Nice. I scored a Backline 600 for free that just needed to have a $40 fan replaced, and be woken up with a plug in/out of the FX return. Love it when I find scores like that. Enjoy.:)
  12. Freez

Freez

Used the B2R series as backline for several gigs last summer, and it sounded great! Nice score my friend!
  13. Negro_Negus

Negro_Negus

Disclosures:
    King of Kings
  14. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^^^ prob be an ok amp for the bedroom, tho. I'd vote for taking another amp to the gig, too. I don't think it will cut it, but it's never a bad thing to give it a shot. It'll be very dirty if it does put out enough.
  15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

16. scf4003

scf4003

$130 is a great deal for an Ampeg head!