1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

well, I saw The Joy Formidable last week...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hachi kid, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

...and it was probably the best friggin concert I've ever seen!!! they were actually opening for Passion Pit, but honestly...they completely blew Passion Pit right off the stage. it reminded me of when Dave Grohl decided to have Motorhead open up for Foo Fighters for a string of shows.

[​IMG]

they were all VERY much into it, and on point with all of the music. Ritzy is pretty much my new music crush, that's for sure. the chemistry between everyone in the band is something I'm pretty everyone plays music for. it was clear they wanted to be no place else except that stage, and it was just so great to see a band like that clearly not funneling it in. that, and (as many have noted before) they have so many pedalssssssssss! which they used, of course. they definitely have the great "wall of sound" thing going on that I just love so much.

the best part, however...I GOT TO PLAY RHYDIAN'S BASS!!!! I was so close to the stage that I was actually setting my drinks on the stage without any issues. towards the end of this song (it was the closing song), I caught Rhydian's attention, and I gave him my whiskey since I didn't want to finish it. I though this was cool enough...he proceeded to give me a bit ass high five and got right in my face with it...also cool.....THEN he handed me HIS BASS! He let me play it while they closed out the set!!! I couldn't believe it! amazing night, and moments I'll never forget. I never thought I'd see them play live, let alone play any of their instruments! amazing night!! you need to go see them, for sure.

here's pics: http://s69.photobucket.com/user/Hachi_Kid/slideshow/Joy Formidable

here's some video from the concert:
    Austere -
  2. hachi kid

hachi kid

No one listens to The Joy Formidable?...
  3. hachi kid

hachi kid

I guess not...crazy how no musician ever wants to listen to music...
  4. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

if you'd read this forum a little you'd realise the majority of posters seem to be either into classic rock or jazz. That's the impression i get anyway. And the majority seems to lament the state of current music... possibly cause the average age is like 40.

Anyway, I know The Joy Formidable, i find them pretty uninspired in the genre (a bit of shoegaze, lots of steadfast alternative riffs..nothing i havent heard done better before). Nothing that would help the average poster's impression of modern music, i'd imagine.
  5. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Meh. I don't agree with the above, even though it did take a little bit of persistent listening to really get into them. Wolf's Law is a FANTASTIC album.

Here's a short thread, which I obviously killed :D, relating some other members like experience. Enjoy OP.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/just-saw-joy-formidable-992793/
  6. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Luuuuuv Joy Formidable.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Funny seeing this thread zombied - I love when someone makes a post and then starts kvetching if people don't respond within a couple hours.

Awesome band. One of those you hope gets as big as they deserve.
  8. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I saw Joy Formidable in Pittsburgh in April. I had never heard of them but my sister-in-law had won tickets and invited me to go. They put on a good show although the sound at the venue was a bit harsh. I'm an old guy (41) but since then I've been getting into more modern bands like We Are Scientists, Silversun Pickups, and MGMT.