1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"Well it's an '81"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funblefinger, Jan 28, 2014.

1. funblefinger

funblefinger

Rolled through the local GC this afternoon. They had a Squier hanging on the wall with a $499 price tag. Asked why it was worth so much. "Oh, it's an 81, really vintage". See me walking out laughing.

2. Splods

Splods

Early 80's Squires are arguably as good as, if not better then fenders made at the same time. 500 is a steal for one.

3. bottomend!

bottomend!

Did you pick it up and play it? If not, then it was your loss... This era of fenders are highly appreciated for a very good reason.

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I don't see $500 being a steal for any Squier of any era. Growing up in the 80s, Squiers were always looked at as beginner/student models. I've never heard anyone say 80s-era Squiers rival Fenders. Is this a common perception? Am I missing something?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

They do, its is and you are.

1982 was the first year of Squiers so it was no a '81. If it was a '82 most likely it would be a JV worth well over $500. A SQ serial number squier is worth between about $300-$450. I have sold 3-4 in that range. Black ones usually get a little less and condition is key, most of mine were trashed. I have played gigs with a SQ.

They are just as good as Japan made fenders of the time, they are better made on average then MIM Fenders, Squier Classic vibes and most people would say they are nicer then 70's Fenders. One of the worse P basses I have ever had was a 1974 Fender.

7. Splods

Splods

Funnily enough, the only P bass I have loved was a 74.

8. millsbass5

millsbass5

There's one thing I've never, ever considered when buying a bass........ What is says on the headstock.

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The worse jazz I had was a '76. Both were all original. I am not being fair though, this was in the last few years so they had been abused 4 decades. Had they been cleaner I may have enjoyed them, the jazz had a lot of factory issues though.

10. mcnach

mcnach

I remember back in 87 how 82-83 Squiers were already thought to rival Fenders.
    But this was among people who cared about quality, not headstock names.

11. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I used to have an SQ series back in the midsts of time, which was stolen in the end (though they left the MIM Precision and the Stingray, so I've an idea they knew what they were going for) and that was my main bass for a long time; and side by side it was as good or better than some of the other Fender stuff that was around during the time I had it. I think some of the reason I took a sabbatical from playing was the loss of that instrument...

I've digressed. For the price for an early 80's Squier and if it was in good physical (wood wise) condition then that would have been a very reasonable purchase especially if it was a JV series.

12. gary m

gary m

One way to know for sure...pick it up and play it. Early 80's Squiers are, with a few exceptions, nothing to sneeze at. I've encountered a few Korean Squier P's that were wonderfully made. It pays to take a few minutes and look it over, and play it...you might be surprised. I was.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Where is this interview of the Fender employee saying they almost cried when they saw the first Squier MIJ models, because it was what they were failingto achieve in USA ?

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

I don't think those were the Squiers, just the regular Fender Japan models brought over as a stop gap when there was a break in production here as they retooled. Still, what separated those MIJ guitars from the Squiers of the same time was mostly electronics quality if I am not mistaken, wood and build were top notch.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Early 80s Squiers are excellent. Back in the late 90s I thought "These things are going to be collectible some day". Then Fender flooded the market, cheapening the brand. As a result, you can still buy a early Squier for short dough.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 All you did was allow the next person to get a really nice bass.

17. thrasher666

thrasher666

So, by your logic, you meet a beautiful woman, great cook, loves sex, has a gymnasts body & loves the same things you do, and you don't date her cause you don't like her name?

18. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Woman, yes. Bass, no. I don't scream out the headstock name while in the throws of passion on a great "melody".

19. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

20. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sounds like you blew a possible great find. I'd need just a little more info though.

21. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

The full history of the early Squiers can be found at
    21 frets.com a site dedicated to early Japanese Fender/Squier instruments!

My 83 SQ p-bass is no less quality than any Fender that I've
    played over the last 40 years.