Went shooting for the first time today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oniman7, Jan 21, 2013.

1. oniman7

oniman7

My parents have wanted to get guns for a while. My dad was a certified expert marksman in the navy with a .45, M14, and 12 gauge slug as well as other general certifications. With me being 17 and my youngest brother at 11, they thought it was time and got a couple Sig Sauer handguns and signed the whole family up for the NRA first steps class. It was great having instruction and awesome to know I can safely handle a gun. I'm cross-dominant so I haven't been able to figure that out yet but I was at least precise. I shot my mom's .380 and while it wad an interesting report we were all able to handle it. I might try my dad's .40 next time. Anyways, even with the respect of the power of a gun and not quite being an expert handler I think I'm hooked.

With my 18th birthday coming up I'm really thinking about trying to get into rifle shooting. Some of the bolt action Mausers and such are giving me GAS :D

Just thought I'd share since there are enthusiasts here
  2. zachoff

zachoff

I have no guns, but my brother has a bunch and shooting them is wicked fun.
  3. oniman7

oniman7

I had fun for sure. So did the guy with the automatic ;)
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

That's awesome. It sounds like your parents are taking an interactive role in educating you about guns and safely handling them. That NRA course is top notch. Have fun and remember the golden rule. " All guns are loaded."
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

+1

Very cool that you're getting into it in a safe and responsible manner. It's a great family sport. :)
  7. bobba66

bobba66

Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    When I was a small child my Dad to me to an air show at the base He was stationed at. The AP's had an M-60 set up on a fixed tripod and everyone got to squeeze off a burst. I'll always remember that sensation!
  8. STRINGSLINGER

STRINGSLINGER Supporting Member

Congratulations and welcome to a very addictive sport. Have fun and remember you can only master firearms if you have mastered safety.
  9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Fun, addictive, and expensive.

Good luck with that .40. That's a punishing caliber to shoot.

.45 ACP is my favorite.
  10. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

"Punishing" is a matter of perspective. I've yet to shoot a handgun round that I would describe that way.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Agreed.
  12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Fair enough. The pistol I had was a .40 S&W of the subcompact variety, so the small weight of the gun was probably the primary culprit of the harshness of firing the thing.
  13. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Wait til ya get into shotguns, big fun.

Skeet on a professional coarse is fantastic. Picking off clay targets in a field can be fun, but that's not Skeet. Sporting Clays is also great fun, like golf with shotguns. :D
  14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Shooting's fun but hunting is tasty.

Maybe it's just my OCD, but one of the most important things you need to learn is how to clean them.
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

This is true for guns and animals.;)
  16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Amen. Whenever we go, I end up cleaning them...then recleaning them.....then sometimes a third cleaning... :help:

But other than the OCD-esque cleaning it's a damn good habit to get into
  17. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Yep. Felt recoil is a function of the round AND the platform. And light pistol+large round doesn't always mean high recoil. I have a Ruger LCR in .357 that shoots like a pussycat with full house loads.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Congrats. Remember safety first, second and third. And then more of it.

Two rules:

1) Never point any gun at anything you don't want to shoot. Even momentarily.

2) Assume all guns are loaded all the time.
  19. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Indeed. My favorite .45 was a 5" Springfield XD. It was so nice to shoot.
  20. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

My favorite way to spend an afternoon shooting is with a muzzle loader. I have an old Browning Mountain rifle, 50 cal, and a Ruger ball & cap pistol that I take to the range.
    Last time I hunted hogs was with the Browning Mt Rifle...came home with meat too!
  21. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Awesome, it is fun (but expensive) to go shooting.

I think it's great when parents teach their children firearms safety. It demystifies the weapon so they're a lot less likely to hurt themselves or others due to ignorance. It teaches them to respect the weapon the same way you should respect a table saw.