We're doing it wrong

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Crater, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Crater

Crater

We played a gig last night and the we do just about everything wrong, and we still got paid. :bag:

No setlist before the gig? check
    Music stand? You can't expect a d00d to remember lyrics he wrote.
    Open the set with an improvised jam? yup
    Self-indulgent guitar noodling? in spades
    Two minutes of rambling talk between songs? Sure, why not. Drop some f-bombs while you're at it.
    Throw another improv jam at the end of song? Yes, please.

We would have worn cargo shorts, hawiian shirts and sandals, but's it winter here. ;)

Bless those people for not just tolerating us, but liking us enough to invite us back March 15th, the Saturday night before St Patrick's day. :bassist:

Yeah, we're a bunch of middle-aged suburban doofuses in a hobby band. In case you were wondering. And we were paid just a hundred bucks for the whole band, but that more than covers my gas money to the gig. The bar and the soundguy are very nice to us, it's a nice big stage and we like playing there. Great funky dive bar with a working class clientele, and located in a local suburb that still allows smoking in bars, so your close reek of nicotine all the way home, just like the old days.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Y'all got most of the "no no's" covered!

3. bassteban

bassteban

I've done nearly all of that once or twice. Goes over great IF your crowd is good and drunk...

4. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Sounds like a good gig. Rock on!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Someone said you'll never go broke under estimating the taste of the American public.

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

and the bar got what they paid for. I would not worry about it.

8. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

So, what did the band do wrong?

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Agreed. When a bar pays a cover band $100 for an evening of music, they clearly have pretty low expectations, so it's clearly no shocker when the band acts less than professionally. That's not meant to be a dig....it's just reality. Your band is clearly comfortable performing in such a manner and you found an establishment that is accepting of it. The bar gets a band for less than they would pay a DJ, and the band covers gas. Win win for everyone.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Right, also the clientele is probably used to that level of excellence.

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I wouldn't be knocking the man's fun. I've played some real dives for little money just because it was close, fun, no pressure, and I loved the guys I was playing with. Sure, the band may be getting the shorter end of the stick, but who cares? Sometimes you don't have to be that serious. :p

In my best fake British accent, "And now for an excursion into jazz fusion... in D!" ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all. I'd be all over that too, except for the smoke; nasty stuff ya'know. Then I'd have a friendly talk with the boys (We're talking guys, right?) at the next rehearsal about stepping up our game.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Except the audience.

14. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Who knocked it?

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

For a $100 to be split amongst a band (I hope your not a 5 piece) that is what they should expect... It sounds like you know what needs to be done to get better shows, so best of luck to you and your mates.

17. cnltb

cnltb

Musicstand a "no no"?

Works for some...depending on the gig, obviously :)

18. repoman

repoman

The only thing missing was an encore of Stand by Me, which, of course, you have never played as a band...ever. We did that! It went over as bad as you would think it would... worst 4 minutes of my entire on stage playing "career" :)

19. richntiff

richntiff

umm - just about every poster on the thread.....

Honestly OP - it does kind of sound like you are bragging about hitting every point the 'pros' on here rag on every band (except theirs) about. Probably did that to draw some ire, attention, whatever. Glad you had fun and got invited back - but I would tend to agree with the other posters (although in nicer terms) - try to up your game a little bit. My band - our rhythm guitar/lead singer can't give up his music stand and it drives the rest of us nuts. It's his security blanket. We also have too much dead space between tunes - that irritates me and the lead git player to no end, but doesn't seem to bother the other two. I would LOVE to get us around to a more professional looking set - but it's kind of like herding cats....

20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

What pisses me off is we all decide on a set list before the gig. Then when doing the gig, they throw out the set list and stand around saying "What do you want to play next, or I don't want to do that one, or lets play this one"... What key is that in? meanwhile we loose the crowd. When they eventually decide on a song to play it's always, "Mustang Sally" Somebody shoot me.... OH! I forgot, this always happens.. we're playing some fast rockers one after the other and the crowd is dancing up a storm and they decide to either go on break or play a slow song... = loose the crowd again. Ok, I'm done ranting.

21. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I think you misunderstood.