Were you guys serious about Monster Cables...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pbass6811, Jan 2, 2014.

1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    having bigger connectors than other brands? I've been using the same couple of Monster bass cables for a few years and I've never had any issues with them in any of my basses, until a couple of weeks ago. Now, my Jazz, which I've had since August, is cutting out when I move around. I can push on the cable and it comes right back on, but when I start to move around again, it starts cutting out again. It seems to be even worse when I use my new wireless, which would make sense since the connector could be that much smaller.

The reason why I have any doubts, is because my Stingray isn't having any of the same issues. The Monster cable and the wireless pack both work just fine in it. I've changed batteries and cleaned the input jack, but it hasn't helped. If it's true, I'll have the input jack replaced and stop using the Monster cables, I just need to know if it's true?? Thanks! :help:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Just take the plate off and bend the connector a little. Easy fix.

3. line6man

line6man

You're referring to a specific kind of connector they offer. It will be obvious whether or not your connectors have the spring loaded sleeve terminals by looking at them. If they have them, I would stop using them. If they don't, don't worry about it.

4. line6man

line6man

That's if the tip terminal is bent from repeated use. The springs on certain Monster Cable connectors are found on the sleeves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mech

mech

It's not the size but the weight that causes Monster cables to spring jack contacts. All that weight is not necessary for a good cable and as you have found out, it causes problems.

mech

7. agreatheight

agreatheight

I have a few Monster cables that definitely have bigger connectors that other cables I have.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I've used monster cables exclusively for over 15 years, no problems, no bad jacks. YMMV, but I suspect a lot of the stories might be hyperbole.

9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Monster uses a slightly larger diameter of barrel. This can, but not always, ruin a jack. Usually this is cheaper jack that uses a thinner contact.

They also have inconsistent tip dips. Some are deeper and at a sharper angle than others. It's very slight, BUT on stiffer jacks (i.e. nicer jacks) the contact that sets in the dip will fold back when you go to unplug. I had this happen in a pedal and almost in one of my basses.

The say they make a better connection than other cables. They do this by using the larger barrel. It is slightly firmer but this does not improve the signal transference.

I no longer use monster for anything. They are not worth price. While a cheap cable will not last as long and can effect your tone, a nice moderately priced cable is fine. Monster is the king of cable hype. I've used a George L's solderless for a long time with out any problems. Never even had to fix it.

WyreAndWood likes this.
  10. GMSweet

GMSweet Supporting Member

I see these posts from time to time so I thought I would pull out my calipers and check a few things. Here's what I found on a quick diameter check of cables in front of me; all cables are from the late 90's.

Monster Bass: Sleeve = .2490, Tip =.2490
    Generic cable, Switchcraft ends: Barrel .2495, Tip = .2440
    Fender California Cable: Barrel = .2505, Tip = .2325
    Store brand, Neutrik ends: Barrel = .2470, Tip = .2455
    Hosa 8-lead 1/4" to 1/4" Snake: Barrel ranges = .2470 to .2485, Tip range = .2410 to .2435

Since the Switchcraft engineering diagram for the standard phone plugs (#570 and #40 used as a reference), it appears that my Monster cable is the closest to spec at the sleeve and tip. Only the Fender California cable is "oversized" by .0005" on the sleeve which is most likely beyond the calibration of me running my calipers. :)

So in my case, yes, the Monster cable's tip matches the sleeve diameter (per spec), but it can't be called big since it's still under the industry specification. I was surprised to see the tip ranges so far out of spec.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Bassdirty and Munjibunga like this.
  11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The tip is the real problem. I've seen more jacks damaged by the tip folding the contact over (requires jack replacement) then the large barrel causing a problem (pushing the contact back in place).

It's a quality control issue.

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i'm another guy that's been using Monster cords for 30yrs+ and have never had a jack failure. :confused:

i also call, hyperbole!

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Jacks wear out. It just happens, and it's easy to fix or replace. Any cable will wear out any jack with enough use (especially when user error is involved) Personally, I've not found the Monster cables to cause any more or less wear than any other cable. Are they worth the price? Meh....maybe if you consider the lifetime no-questions-asked-walk-into-GC-and-get-a-new-one warranty.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Well, yes, I don't recall claiming it was exclusive to Monster......

15. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I have a side business setting up and repairing guitars and basses. I have 2 regular clients that seem to go through switchcraft jacks about every 2 years or so. It just so happens they use Monster Cables.

Could be coincidence, could be something to it. Either way, Monster's high capacity ratings (especially the bass model) keep me away!

16. Itzayana

Itzayana

Me too.

17. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I always enjoyed Monster Cable's easy return policy...Sam Ash informed me they no longer exchange them. Anyone else get told this?

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

Not hyperbole. Monster plugs do have a larger diameter which does push the tip contact further which could spring it more than normal. But that's the wrong idea. The idea of the large plug is that if you use standard cables for a while and the contact gets sprung the larger monster cable won't cut out when an ordinary one will. So in theory it would be better to use an ordinary cable first and then switch to the monster when the jack starts to get noisy.

But the truth is that over time jacks tend to lose spring. Cheap jacks more than switchcraft. And as noted a fix is merely to bend the contact over a little to give it back some spring. On a cheap jack after a short time it will lose tension again and you'll have to bend it again and keep this up until you get tired of it and buy a decent jack. But good jacks do this too. It just takes longer for it to happen. Switchcraft jacks can go bad too. Nobody is perfect. The bottom line is that if your bass gets noisy when you wiggle the cord, just put in a new jack. They are cheap and effective.

The really bad news are "bargain" cords. I had some from Sam Ash that were nearly free and were worth just what I paid for them. The plugs were all undersized and made static on about half my basses! the fix was a rubber washer over the plug so it always held it out slightly and never fully plugged in!

Quality jacks and cords are best. Monster cords are fine if overpriced and their best feature isn't the slight oversizing but rather the durability of the wire attached to the plug. I think I learned my lesson on bargain cords, but there are some decent buys online if you test them first so you know what you are getting.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks. I've done the same thing with similar results.

20. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I have a Monster cable and its plugs are the same size as all of my other 1/4" plugs, I have measured them with a micrometer accurate to 1/10 of a thou.

For those folks who claim that the Monster plugs are larger, do you have any actual measurements indicating this?

21. GMSweet

GMSweet Supporting Member

It's funny, I'm watching Mythbusters right now and pondering my previous findings. My simple experiment showed nothing abnormal. In thinking about the jacks on my basses since I've had the monster cable and they have all been barrel jacks with the cable run through my strap for strain relief. The only jack failure I recall was on an old Kramer bass with a front mount jack and before I had a 90 degree plug on my cable.

The cable is less pliable compared to other rubber jacketed cables I have , so maybe folks with front mounted jacks end up having more torque applied to the tip inside the body causing increased wear?

Or, too many episodes of Mythbusters have been consumed while I've been sick this week. ;-)