1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Westboro Basstist Church

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sequimite, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Sequimite

Sequimite

Came across this and couldn't find that it had been previously posted. Normally I'm against mindless hatred but in this case I see their point.

[​IMG]

2. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Sorry, not funny IMHO

The Real Thing showed up in my town about a year ago to do their thing at the funeral of a local kid who got blown up by an IED in Afghanistan. They were sent packing, in no uncertain terms

This is obviously not on the same level but what little humor there is to be found here is far outweighed by the stench of the referenced original

YMMV *shrug*

3. Illini10

Illini10 Supporting Member

+1

4. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

The Westboro Baptist church started protesting against Kevin Smith and his response was to tell people to counter protest them with the most crazy signs they could thing of. I'm thinking that this is where this is from.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Made me lol. I can find humor in most anything.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Made me laugh, but I have a sense of humor.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Without humour, you don't see that Westboro as a whole is a giant joke, a shocking machine. They are better at trolling than any internet forum.

9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I understand where you're coming from, but it's kind of like saying that today's Ku Klux Klan is just a silly joke. They're both just as hate filled, and entirely serious.

If you really want a "joke," check out the Landover Baptist Church.

10. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

The Westboro Baptist Church consists of a group of people numbering almost less than a carton of eggs. How have they done so well to dictate public discourse and humor? I find the comparison to the KKK to be not valid. The KKK beat and killed people. Westboro holds signs and shouts. They both suck, but what they have done as groups is as different from the light and the day. But I digress as there are many KKK humor photos like this one.

I find the photo to be exceptionally humorous. I think I should tumblr this one.

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

12. michael_atw

+1

Don't take off your jacket...we won't be here too long...

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am quite positive this is a photoshop, the guy holding the signs is probably an actual member holding something about a cigarette or a bundles of sticks... depends if they add the got suffix.

Also, why would this thread get closed? This picture has been posted on here a handful of times, it is not as popular as the craigslist ad who only plays I-IV-V (SOOO sick of that) but it has been posted several times.

If anybody wants to watch something really interesting on the subject the BBC has a documentary with Louis Theroux called "the most hated family in the US" I laughed out loud at some of their sentiments as I find their insanity comical (You should hear their "cover" of I'm proud to be an American). The part that isn't funny is that they actually believe this garbage and teach it to children.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Um yes...it's photoshop.

But the mods don't take lightly to religious discussion especially one so hotly debated as WBC so yeah it won't last long.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am not doubting they will close it, but I didn't see anybody mention religion, only hate.

Also, if the mods hate religious discussion why is there the praise and worship club? You know what they talk about there? Serving Jesus.

I am not trying to open any can of worms here but that seems kind of contradictory.

(Sweet new pic by the way, it shows E=Fb for those in the future since he'll probably change it soon :D)

16. michael_atw

I guess we're just reflecting on the nature of the fact it will almost certainly delve to religious/political discussion at some point.

And yes, I'm sure the photos above are photo-shop. I don't see why even if Kevin Smith did organize that someone would use something so obscure as their signs.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There is no religious discussion and zero debate around Westboro. They are clowns and everybody knows it.

18. Russell L

Russell L

Haven't we seen this same pic before with different writing on the signs?

19. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

+1.

I think the actual group are a bizarre group centering on the personality of a deeply unpleasant and callous person.
    They cause a lot of hurt by actively seeking vulnerable people to harass. :mad:

20. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Exactly this IMO.

21. Sequimite

Sequimite

What one finds humorous varies quite a bit. What I do find surprising is those that think mocking an organization and using the phrase "mindless hatred" shows support for it.