1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

wet guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by extranovak7, Apr 2, 2014.

1. extranovak7

extranovak7

My lack of judgment in hanging up a guitar without checking for a stud resulted in my guitar landing in my fish tank. How should I go about trying to save my guitar. Its a cheap ibanez guitar but still don't want to loose it.

2. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures:
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    Take all the battery covers etc. Off & just let it dry real good. Towel it. If you got any canned air/ duster blow around the volume & tone pots. Dont plug it in for a couple days. It'll probly be fine

3. extranovak7

extranovak7

Thanks luckily it has no battery I'm worried about rust mostly

4. line6man

line6man

For a passive instrument, the only thing to worry about is making sure that the pots and switches are dried out. Disassembly is usually necessary.

The greater concern is water in the wood. That can cause warpage. If this is a bolt-neck, dry the neck joint.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

lol happened to a friend once. We used a hairdryer and towels to dry it off then let is sit in a consistent 60-70* F room for a week and it worked fine afterwards

7. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Or leave it in the tank for decoration

8. zontar

zontar

I had a friend who came home one day to find water pouring into his basement where some of his guitars were.
    They were in cases, so not too bad--he was able to save all but one--and he dried them off, aired them out, etc--similar to above--and he aired out the cases, although there was damage to some of them-which meant they needed replacing.

The non survivor was a Martin acoustic--it was made with hide glue and didn't do well--but he was able to get a new one with the insurance.