1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

We've never had it so good!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jools4001, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I'm clearing out my attic and found a whole bunch of music magazines from the early 90s.

Prompted by another thread on here saying how we Europeans have a rough deal compared with the availability and price of gear in the US, I thought I would take a look at this from a different angle.

You see, what struck me about the 1993 magazines is that 20 years ago was before the internet revolution, so the mags were full of double page ads from dealers as they were the shop window of the day, and the prices were the most striking thing.

Just as a couple of examples a Squier P Bass cost around £275 in 1993, adjusted for inflation it should cost £475 today, but it doesn't....today a Squier VM P Bass costs £246, actually cheaper in absolute terms than it was 20 years ago. Adjusting for inflation again, that means that if it had been available at today's price in 1993 this bass would have been £145...or very roughly half the price that it actually was.

Another example? What would you pay for an 'en vogue' 600 watt amp head today? $1000? $1500? How about $3000 dollars? Yes folks, in 1993 you could have bought a Trace Elliot AH600SMX head for just £1199, which equates to just over £2000 in today's money. Multiply by about 1.6 for the dollar price and you are over 3000! All Ampeg prices are listed as POA or "if you have to ask you can't afford it"!

So while decent gear still costs, we forget how much more of a stretch it was in the 'good' old days.

2. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Thanks for some perspective...

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:), everything does look quite different when you take a step backwards and look at the big picture.

I didn't respond to that thread You mention, because even though I kind of feel the OP's pain, that hasn't IME been true since the early 90's. At least over here it hasn't.

80's were kind of rough (at least the latter part when I first came into music circles), but from that day on, the availability of gear has skyrocketed, and the prices -and most importantly price/quality ratio- keep on getting better and better every year.

I have often wondered when will it stop?

What is IMO even better than the reduced prices on new (crap ;)), have been the price reduction on older "real quality" stuff.
    Except for a few exeptions, old (PA) amps, cabs and mixing consoles can be had for 1/20 or less of their original price.

True, the weight is there, but so is the superb performance.

I wholeheartedly concur, we've never had it so good.

Regards
    Sam

4. Milk

Milk

All i know is the exchange rate was terrible between US and Canada when i began. The bottom of the line Ibanez i have was really worth like at least 100$ less than what i paid for it

If nothing else we've never had it so good simply because i don't have to go to a music shop and order when i want to buy anything. If i was starting now, i wouldn't have got the bass i got. I would have actually picked the one i wanted.

5. Register to disable this ad