Whammy IV vs Eventide Pitchfactor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nno Mar, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

For Bass,what would be your choice?

I have the Whammy IV and it works well enough, although clearly not the best thing for bass.

Eventide Pitchfactor I never tried, but a couple of videos on youtube lead me to the conclusion that it is much better than the whammy IV.

Your opinions please ;)
  2. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

The pitchfactor does everything the whammy-IV does (better, I might add), plus literally a thousand other things, too.

Of course, the pitchfactor costs more than the whammy-IV, but there is absolutely no contest between which one is superior. Not to mention, when I had the whammy-IV, it was the single biggest tone sucker on my board when bypassed.

I'm trying to think of the right metaphor...hmmm. The whammy-IV is like owning a single lego set, while the pitchfactor is like having the entire lego factory at your disposal.
  3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

EHX HOG > Pitchfactor > Whammy IV

Just saying.....
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Granny Smiths > Mandarins

Seriously, the HOG and Pitchfactor each do a long list of things, and only a fraction of them overlap...I don't know why people compare them in this way.

It's the same thing for the OP's question, only instead of doing different things like the Pitchfactor and the HOG, the Pitchfactor (and the HOG, I think) pretty much covers all the ground of the Whammy plus more.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

It depends on your usage of the devices. I use the hell out of my Whammy. I actually like that it glitches and stuff. Never tried the other dude.
  7. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

Literally the only thing the IV does better than the pitchfactor is glitch.
  8. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

partially OT, but related: Pitcthfactor vs Digitech Spacestation? any experience?
  9. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

^Made me lol
  10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

agreed. the glitch rules. have had a whammy for years, its only recently i've found use for it in my band and is on my board.

if i want nice clean octaves i have a micro pog for that.
  11. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

Thanks for the replies. I do like the whammy IV and its glitch, but sometime I wish I had better tracking and less tone suck...

I don't think the Pitchfactor and Whammy IV are that different apart you can't compare them. I guess simply the Pitchfactor is a better whammy IV on all occasions except if you want glitch. No?
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Groovy, bro. But like I said I want the glitchy sound. I'm not looking for beautiful perfect harmony and stuff. I only use the octave up pitch bend and the Harmonized octave down/up. Most of the time paired with varying degrees of distortion...... basically I use it to rip off Brian Cook's use of it in These Arms Are Snakes and Russian Circles.
    To each his own, bud.
  13. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Actually, the pitchfactor has models of much older eventide processors that have awesome glitchy sounds... the pitchfactor even glitches better than the IV, IMO.
  14. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

Cool, bro, but I'm saying this for the OPs sake, not yours, bud.
  15. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Good point, pal!
  16. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Seems like the OP would ne happy with the pitch factor since he wants everything the whammy does, but with better tracking and a hell of a lot more options.

Go for it! Its probably a fun box.
  17. basslayer

basslayer Supporting Member

i have been thinking about getting the pitch factor. i have the morpheus dive bomb. it does a good job, but from what i hear the pitch factor does so many other things. if you go with the pitch factor, can you make a video demo the pitch shift and harmonizer in the unit?
  18. Pushead

Pushead

Why you not considering the Whammy V? It has 2 modes: classic and chords (polyphonic), true bypass and 9V DC (not AC like the older versions).
    I have bass whammy version and really like the sound and tracking of it. But when I think in the features of the Whammy V adding with the Molten Voltage MIDI2, the G.A.S. starts to grow a lot!!!
  19. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

The Whammy V has new stuff quite interesting, but I think the Pitchfactor has more options which seem more interesting for me. The demo for bass on Eventide's site is quite amazing, and I imagine its only the beginning ;)
  20. sam adams

sam adams

The HOG/POG stuff isn't really comparable. I thought when I bought a HOG it would bump my OC-2 and Whammy IV off my board, but it just sounded nothing like them. Totally polyphonic and multi-voiced. Which are good things of course. I recognize that's a silly complaint. But it was too perfect sounding to pull off using it for any of the same applications. My band mate also has a POG2. I prefer it to the HOG because now that I have a Freeze Pedal, the POG2 does all the stuff I like out of the HOG and doesn't need an extra controller.

I have an OC-2 I like to dime everything on that just sounds gross and menacing because it tracks so poorly. It's a sound I've utilized and grown to love. Especially on guitar.

The Line 6 M series Pitch Glide & Smart Harmony killed my old Whammy IV when teamed up with a 25k Ernie Ball Vol Jr as an expression pedal. It tracks better, but still glitches, which is something I love. It gives way more custom control over what intervals you want in heel/toe settings. It also does intelligent pitch shifting and allows you to control the mix. You can even change all that real time with the expression pedal. So for example if you want to go from -1oct 50/50 blend to +2oct 100% blend with the sweep of the expression pedal, you can do that. Or if you want intelligent pitch shifting and want to change the interval and/or key with the expression pedal, you can totally do that too.

Pitch Factor is awesome. But if price is an issue and/or you don't think you'll use a lot of the fancier stuff, a Whammy V or even a L6 M5+expression pedal would be my suggestion to anyone looking to jump ship on the Whammy IV.